Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immobiliser Fault  (Read 16977 times)

dphart1

Immobiliser Fault
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »

Hi guys newby here so please be gentle!!

My Jeep Cherokee 2.5TD Sport 1997 has a problem with the immobiliser, is there any way I can reset it?

How did this happen -

1 Gauges failed so took it to cousins garage after trying to find fault checking fuses etc. now wont start.
2 unplugged pcm/ecu in the engine bay plugged back in no joy.
3 unplugged immobiliser plugged back in no joy.
4 disconnected battery charged it up and put it back on no joy.

Now I am completely lost and don't know what else to do.

Please help!!

Mike Pavelin

Re: Immobiliser Fault
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »

Does it crank?

Cockney Boy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »

Also is it a factory fitted one or after market?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:55 PM »

sounds not good ted has had the same problem for a year now

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dphart1

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »

it will only crank if we power the starter from battery but it wont run.
also it is an aftermarket immobiliser fitted by dealers after import.

Cockney Boy

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »

I dont suppose you know the make of the immobiliser as we could then see how it works. Most will interrupt the ignition and instrument cluster circuit as this is the easiest way to interface and disable the vehicle.

Would you be able to post a picture of the immobiliser fob along with the product number which should be on the back

dphart1

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »

I think it was made by may & scofield
Can't do pics as yet coz keys not with me at the moment, but they are black square ones with crysler star on them and lock & unlock buttons.
Is there a reset buton hiding away somewhere.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »

Take the cluster out and clean all the terminals (the reason it didn't work in the first place). If the immobiliser, pcm and cluster can't all communicate it won't start.

dphart1

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 09:17:17 PM »

Got a pic of keyfob from web.

Will give ago regards cleaning cluster terminals.

Cockney Boy

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »

Thats a Crysler Jeep Fob.

There is no need to reset the Immobiliser if the Fobs are already paired with the controller. Powering the unit down will not delete the fobs as they all have an NVM (Non-Volitile Memory)

I would do what Mike has recommended first and see what happens.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »

I expect it's the same immobiliser as fitted to my 97 TJ. I can start up with the cluster completely removed so the cluster contacts shouldn't cause any problems.

Does the LED turn off when the button is pressed on the fob? Longer presses seem to work better that a quick press and release. Once had my immobiliser not turning off, and tried pressing and holding the fob button while cranking the engine. It may only have been coincidence but it worked for me at the time.

dphart1

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »

Guys the Jeep is back on the road!!!!!!

Thank you too you all for your input I'm not sure how I found out but the Immobiliser was made by May & Schofield and they were very helpful.
I have copied the email below for all to see and the guy helped us over the phone to detail.

For the record these Immobilisers are pretty bullet proof and most likely to be at fault is to do with the car electrics etc.

Please for future reference do not ever try and bypass or remove the immobiliser from the vehicle as will render the car useless permanently.

we are still unsure what caused the cluster to fail but while tracing for the fault we found out the supply voltage comes from the rear windscreen wiper (may not be the case for others but worth checking the fuse) but don't do what we did and put the fuse in the wrong place.

Also we had a loose connection in the immobiliser which was intermittently failing (check the pins)

Copy of email:

Hi David

I would need more detail before I could work out what is wrong, but the gauges failing first would lead me to beleve that if you can get them working the immobilizer fault will sort its self out.
A couple of hints
1 If you look at the drivers door is it one sheet of glass or two (fake quarter light) if its two it wont have one of our units on it.

Assuming one sheet of glass

2 There will be a LED that should be flashing to show armed ( flashing good – on solid reqs VIN - off  no power/ unit us)

2 our unit is controlled by the IOD fuse  (under bonnet in box by battery marked on lid as IOD)

3 I have been told that the IOD fuse is fed by a bigger fuse that also fuses the air con, so is the air con testable?

I hope this helps feel free to get back to me.

Best regards Del

P please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

PLEASE NOTE I DELETE EMAILS WITH ATTACHMENTS IF I DONT KNOW WHO THEY ARE FROM SO PLEASE PUT YOUR NAME AND DETAILS IN THE SUBJECT LINE

Del Lloyd  01256 306806
May and Scofield Ltd, Stroudley rd, Daneshill ind est,
Basingstoke, Hants RG24 8UG 

Once again all Cheers!!!

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:06:50 PM »

The May and Schofield unit was fitted by Chrysler Jeep Imports in a warehouse in Sheerness before delivery to the dealers. 

sianevans

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: TJ jeep
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 10:07:14 PM »

Hello, piggy backing on this thread with a similar issue...

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler bought in the UK in 1997. It has an immobilizer integrated into it and came with two remotes. One was lost many years ago and the second has just broken. The jeep is stranded. Does anyone know if the immobilizer can be removed? There is an added complication that I shipped the Jeep out of the UK two years ago, i cannot take it to a UK dealer. I am at a total loss, love this car, she has so much more life in her to be defeated by the immobilizer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up