Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket?  (Read 2552 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
Head gasket?
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:09:43 AM »

'Evening chaps.

I just remembered something else I meant to ask. It may sound stupid, and I may just be panicking, but there's no harm in me asking  8-)

I noticed earlier when my Jeep was being driven into the workshop (the only time I ever see it driven by someone else!) that there was water dripping out of the exhaust. I know that this is relatively normal, but the Jeep had only been shut down for about 20 minutes at the time, after a 4 mile drive (during which it got up to temperature), so it was still reasonably hot.

I also noticed that the water in the overflow tank had dropped from the full mark to the add mark the day before, but I regularly check the coolant and it hadn't been going down steadily - it's like it had lost that much in one hit.

I think the Jeep is running at normal temperature now, but I've not driven it very far lately due to the brake issues.

The Jeep is performing exactly as usual - smooth idle and plenty of power. I've seen no smoke coming from the tailpipe - only this drip that I spotted earlier. Could I have a head gasket issue?

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
Re: Head gasket?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:01 AM »

Test the coolant to see if exhaust gas is getting in to it. I think this is the cheapest/easiest way to tell.
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

water out of the exhaust especially if the car has fully warmed up will most likely be condensate, this normally collects in the silencer when the exhaust system cools down (plus it rots cheap exhausts from the inside). I wouldn't be too concerned about water from the exhaust. if the head gasket has gone bit time you will be having a serious miss-fire and steam out of the exhaust instead of water.

mark the header bottle and monitor. mine used to use water but no head gasket problems
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »

as you over headed you may need a new radiator cap
your not on LPG so head gasket should be fine

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »

Cool, cheers guys. I thought that it'd be steaming/running rough, but just wanted to check. Radiator cap may well be the cause of coolant loss - it only seems to be loosing it once it gets properly hot and the cap is original! 8-)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »

I thought I'd dig this up again now I've had more of a chance to drive the XJ...

I've realised that the loss of coolant I had was probably as the air was removed from the system (it would fit, timescale-wise), because as far as I'm aware it's not done it again.

It is however still running hot at low speeds. Could someone please help me on how to test the following causes I reckon it could be, or add to the list..!
  • Radiator cap
  • Viscous fan
  • Thermostat
  • Clogged rad (don't need help with this one!)

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »

viscous couplings to tend to fail
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »

Stay out of the mud and all these probs will be behind you.......

But then you are in the rocks and its bodywork axles and steering things like tie rods and burnt out power steering....

Oh the joy the deep joy  :icon_super:

jay140285

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »

Stay out the mud! How very dare you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »

I couldn't be bothered to start a new thread, but the Jeep is still running hotter than I'm comfortable, especially in the 24 degree heat today.

I just got home with the engine nice and hot, and the electric fan kicked in as I was parking. The temperature gauge was half a notch over 100.
I turned the engine off and turned the viscous fan by hand, and it spun for two or three revolutions as it does when the engine is stone cold. Does this mean that the fan clutch is my culprit, or is that normal behaviour?

The fan does roar when I first pull away with a cold engine, but other than that I never ever hear it.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »

Half a notch over 100 is perfectly normal. Worrying about heat can turn to paranoia.

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »

:iagree: that is true

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »

I know it's within the normal limits, but it's the fact that it never used to get that hot that worries me! You're right though, I am probably a bit paranoid. I'll try driving it for a while without putting the heater on every time I'm in traffic, and see if it still stays within the normal limit then  8-)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »

Drive it normally / no sympathy and see what happens. You could remove your rad and soak for a really good clean. Maybe a new fan clutch but check for a proper diagnostic test before wasting money.

jay140285

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »

After Harptree I was still running hot. Took Kev to remove the rad as properly clean it to resume normal service again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »

go electric if your paranoid then wire in a delay timer when you key off. the fan will keep running for a set time then switch off
Alfa 147 jtdm

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

go electric if your paranoid then wire in a delay timer when you key off. the fan will keep running for a set time then switch off

That will cool the radiator a treat, but wont the engine still be as hot since its not pumping the coolant round :017:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »

As far as I'm aware the water pump is working fine, so the coolant should be circulating nicely...

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »

Electric fans struggle to pull the air that the mechanical fan will. The stock cooling system works fine, no need to change or upgrade things.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:16 PM »

:iagree: If anything needs replacing, it will be stock for stock.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 05:35:11 PM »

That will cool the radiator a treat, but wont the engine still be as hot since its not pumping the coolant round :017:

look at how many new cars have the rad fan still operating after key off, the fan will cool the radiator plus it will push the hot air from around the engine lowering the effect of heat soak. once the fans have stopped the engine will still heat soak but not to the same effect.
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »

I've just realised that I misunderstood that, oops  :icon_redface:
Pages: [1]   Go Up