Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ clunk from steering column  (Read 1792 times)

jfs17

WJ clunk from steering column
« on: October 27, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »

Hello, would welcome some advice. Have a 02 Grand Cherokee, which has developed a problem when turning sharp to the left. I either hear a clunk from steering and the car turns, or no clunk, but it does not go into full lock. Resulting in me having to reverse back and try the corner again. Anybody have any suggestions as to what it may be.
Also on the back of this, any good 4x4 mechanics around Gloucestershire ?
Thank you

jay140285

Re: WJ clunk from steering column
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:44 PM »

If your willing to travel a bit further up the M5 our resident mechanic here Kev is the guru!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildfire

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »

JFS
I'd put my money on your panhard rod bushes being shot!

Try this! - start the engine, then when stationary turn your steering from lock to lock - as your doing this have a look at your wheels from the drivers door position.

try to ignore the fact that the wheels are turning but look at the wheel location relative to the wing - if the rod bushes are gone the axle will visibly 'shift' to take up the 'slack' - this may explain why your turning circle is affected!

Good luck

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:03:48 PM »

more than that i feel   i had a tj a while back and the steering had no power steering at the box in one direction

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

jfs17

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:17:30 PM »

more than that i feel   i had a tj a while back and the steering had no power steering at the box in one direction

Hi, the Landy garage are going to strip down the steering box and realign. Then see what it is like. They say the box is not on true

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

cool the bit that  concerns me is a joint has been changed  yet what you decribe should not have needed the pitman arm off  and i wonder what was done by whoever fitted the new part

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

jfs17

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »

cool the bit that  concerns me is a joint has been changed  yet what you decribe should not have needed the pitman arm off  and i wonder what was done by whoever fitted the new part

you and me both. If push comes to shove they are happy to fit a refurb box if I can find one

bluevanman

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:39 PM »

bit late I know but mine was exactly the same it needed a new box broken ballinside jamming
Pages: [1]   Go Up