Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Right, this is serious!!  (Read 46785 times)

Delk

Re: Right, this is serious!!
« Reply #300 on: October 12, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »

I am a pessimist because the odds are far better then an optimist.

Big jeeps commonly run in hot climates that we dint see in the UK. They also manage to do it without odd bonnets or formula 1 ducting in the engine bay. There are also plenty of other square shaped trucks that are lifted or lowered that run even bigger horse power without issues.

You have had the same issue with both engines and changed everything except the rad. That only leaves one item in my eyes.

If you are so close to curing the issue by moving or modifying the bonnet you will just do something else. Drive faster, fill the truck with all the kids, manage to find the biggest and longest hill or tow a trailer and you will be calling the AA again.

j33pky

« Reply #301 on: October 12, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »

Here's an idea...... :icon_biggrin:

FSJ hoods are held on by the hinge/spring mech on the inside....... 4 bolts to hold hood onto the mechanism?.
I'm guessing here FSJ Birtys advise :icon_twisted:

Take one of those bolts out and get 4 tomorrow that are 30mm longer.......then I have got 4 stainless circular  30mm spacers that were seat risers that are looking for a home and are sitting idly on my workbench.

There you go instant 30mm air escape gap at rear of hood that you can do the motorway test on......
Shout if of interest..... :icon_super:

Just a shame there on studs!  But get the stud out and replace with a longer bolt...

j33pky

« Reply #302 on: October 12, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »

And the 360 overheated because the rad was just a big block of mud with water running through it. This problem I think is different.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2014, 06:17:46 PM »

I have contacted some US sellers of fancy rads to see if they will ship - waiting in answers

I have done what feels like everything else so in the long run its not gonna do any harm ........

The original rad was new by the PO but who knows whether he got mugged

I'm figuring next wallet pillaging may as well involve throwing the kitchen sink at it :011:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2014, 06:44:49 PM »

Don't forget the 'Pirate sourced formula' of cubic inches to square inches of rad.......

I know we've done this before but just in case :icon_twisted:

a 401 engine needs 401 + square inches of rad..... And that is just the element not including the tanks top and bottom or preferably left and right if it's a cross flow....... And ally cools better than
Old school brass......

And then if you can get multicore thickness then even better........ And so the mystical cooling mantra goes on and on.......
I am sure we.....(you) will get there in  the end......... :icon_super:

demonicwillow

« Reply #305 on: October 12, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »

Have you removed the rad, filled it totally with water, emptied that water into a bucket measuring device, then dimensioned the rad to see if your getting roughly its water capacity into it, also if your rad is approximately the right size have you thought about getting it re-corred ?? maybe worth going to your local rad repair shop for advice with it.

Can you post a pic or pics of your engine bay which shows the rad position ??

j33pky

« Reply #306 on: October 12, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

Don't forget the 'Pirate sourced formula' of cubic inches to square inches of rad.......

I know we've done this before but just in case :icon_twisted:

a 401 engine needs 401 + square inches of rad..... And that is just the element not including the tanks top and bottom or preferably left and right if it's a cross flow....... And ally cools better than
Old school brass......

And then if you can get multicore thickness then even better........ And so the mystical cooling mantra goes on and on.......
I am sure we.....(you) will get there in  the end......... :icon_super:

So why do the yanks fit a standard 2 core stock rad the same as a 4.2 six?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »

:iagree:

in my fsj days i found and swapped the same rad regardless of engine

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

xr6jeeper

« Reply #308 on: October 12, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »

Sounds daft but are the fans turning in the right direction,

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #309 on: October 31, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Right, decision made - its heading back up north to Jim and not allowed back to the glamorous south until its learnt to behave itself :icon_super:

Only good bit of tyres being nicked was finding out that there is a helluva lot of love for the bastard thing - landy owners etc in kent telling me they drive past my house just to look at etc, its more famous than i realised :003: and even local non 4x4 doods from my estate knocking on my door to give condolences etc as its such a 'beautiful beast' etc :greggmo: so that has given me a kick up the arse to get it sorted once and for all ( :hysterical: )

Silver linings doods, silver linings
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

jay140285

« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »

Credit card at the ready then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #311 on: October 31, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »

Well my lotto win is just around the corner so fuck debt :003:

Chief or money in the bank - no brainer :icon_super:

Watched my dad live a v frugal life (& inflict it on me) so he could have a comfortable retirement and tbe poor old sod is wealthy but also to ill to do fuck all worthwhile. Im getting to that age where i hear bout people i know of my age gettin cancer and heart attacks etc so im following the plan of spend it while ya got it coz ya could be dead next week!!!

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »

The mystery of alternator belts disappearing has bern solved ........... by me :icon_super:

Rogue jubilee clip badly placed amd was cutting thru the belt.

So new belts fitted and transporter booked - new tyres not going on until the night b4 tho :011:

j33pky

« Reply #313 on: November 03, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »

Mechanic of the year goes to........... Bullfrog :icon_pray: :icon_pray:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #314 on: November 03, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »

:stupid:

:smiley-whacky084:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Only took me 3 shredded belts and trip home with the AA to find out why :lol_hitting:

5536paulj

« Reply #316 on: November 27, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »

Ade,
Trans cooler has sorted my issues, and I have similar drivetrain to you....

Fluid goes through the in rad cooler first, then to the new one in front of the rad and then back to the th400, runs cool now.

Just trying to help

PJ

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #317 on: November 27, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »

cheers buddy, appreciate that - and damn good news for you

fuck I hope it fixes mine :eusa_pray:

I will inform Mr Sunderland when I see him on Saturday :greggmo:

5536paulj

« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »

If I was you, ,given the size of the vehicle and your enthusiastic driving style (!) I'd use an engine driven fan with shroud, which will always give the most airflow, with a big trans cooler in front of the rad, the B and M one I got is nice as it bypasses when the trans is cool so won't over cool the th400, came with all the right fittings too, even i could fit it in a couple of hours..

Good Luck

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »

Old thread now but for all you "temperature sensor should be in the top hose not bottom hose" back seat mechanics, i think we all owe Mr Sunderland an apology........

3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2014, 06:56:16 PM »

Heat rises !! The Mafia has it on the top hose.
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2014, 07:58:23 PM »

Its not exactly an old thread as the beast still lusts after heat and so the thread will need an update soon enough but good to know its in safe hands  :greggmo:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2014, 08:04:43 PM »

and although I never said it at the time I trawled the services of quite a few 'mechanics/garages' in the southern half of the country (was trying to avoid the transportation costs up to Jim) to see if they wanted to fault find the overheating on the Molotov and all said nope, not one was interested in any shape or form, despite them all coming from recommendations, however when I rang Jim and asked ... 'I dont suppose you would be interested in .....?' he replied yes without a milliseconds hesitation  :greggmo:  responses like that go a long way in my book - so transport costs in the future will just be factored in regardless

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

Heat rises !! The Mafia has it on the top hose.

Radiator cooling development is always done with the coolant temperature referenced from the top hose, this then combined with a measurement of the bottom hose allows engineers to work out the efficiency of the radiator. If a temperature is taken from the main block then a correction factor has to be used by the coolant control module or the temperature for the viscous fan requires changing to suit.

doesn't matter where you control sensor is, as long as it switches on the cooling fan for a inlet temperature of circa 90 to 95 degC (or lower if required)
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

j33pky

« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »

Old thread now but for all you "temperature sensor should be in the top hose not bottom hose" back seat mechanics, i think we all owe Mr Sunderland an apology........

Are you some sort of kiss ass?  even if he is right you don't tell him :098:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up