Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ front spring perches/cups  (Read 1231 times)

Jonnycab

WJ front spring perches/cups
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:15 AM »

Had a strange metallic rattling noise coming from front driver (O/S) side suspension when driving on uneven (rubbish) roads. Anyway, after doing a quick inspection I found the culprit. The top of the lower spring perch/cup had rusted away so badly that it had fallen into the cup....hence the metallic rattling. I haven't removed the spring yet to see the real extent of the rust, but from reading a few stories, it's probably looking like I'm gonna have to weld in a new perch/cup.
Anyone done this before ?....& if so, what are the measurements of the perch/cup ?
From a few quick measurements, it looks to be 3 inches in diameter, a couple of inches high & most likely a 3mm thick wall, but as I say, I haven't removed the spring yet, so don't know for sure.
Any advice would be much appreciated  :icon_winkle:

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
Re: WJ front spring perches/cups
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »

Lots of info on this on jeepforum, IRO do replacement cups but if you can make something yourself its not worth buying. Whenever I need to take the springs out on my WGs I paint the outside of the cups with grease before putting the isolator back on, plus underneath with waxoil.

Jonnycab

Re: WJ front spring perches/cups
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the replacements you can get from the US at about £40 + postage. Can buy 3" steel tubing with 3mm wall for a fraction of the price, so will probably go for the latter option & fabricate it myself.
Cheers for the advice :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up