Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake help  (Read 4254 times)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Brake help
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »

Just thought I should clean up the brakes as part of working through the YJ and making it road worthy. Rear brakes are Ford Explorer system from what I can tell and what Simon told me when I bought it.

To save a really long story, see the picture - n/s rear disc is fooked. I guess maybe it seized on and the force from a locker and D60 meant the brake disc was the bit that broke.

My problem - need to find a Ford Explorer rear disc that is drilled for 5 on 5.5" CJ bolt pattern. Dynatrac aren't interested in helping because it's an old axle not in their current range (all aimed at JKs) and their brakes are different now. Currie do make some but shipping a brake disc from California seems a bit silly and they are Currie prices.

Can anyone help by saying what else I might find this disc on?

I can re-drill a standard 5 on 4.5" one but that's my second choice really.

Delk

Re: Brake help
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:05 PM »

As far as I know they are all redrilled anyway. Would go with option 2 and drill it yourself. The disc is the same as most Jeep rears so you can get one local.

I just scrapped two since I have changed the rear again because the hand brake.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:12:26 PM »

Thanks Delk. I thought maybe I'd save myself another job and just buy discs that were ready to fit.

I've re-drilled discs before and think I'll end up doing these too. 

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »

Have a search on the interweb for Suzuki brake discs, you might strike lucky. early non vented Vitara front discs maybe?
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

5536paulj

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »

Apart from CJs other cars with 5 x 5.5 wheels are Suzuki SJ and Vitara, Daihatsu Fourtrak, Kia Sorrento, is it worth going down the local factors and seeing if something works for you?

paul

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »

Because it has to fit the rear brake system on the axle I think I'll just get the explorer discs and re-drill them. They are centred with the hub anyway so it's not the trickiest job to drill a slightly bigger 5 hole pattern onto them.

Thanks for the help, I guess I was just hoping for someone to say "buy these, they come dual pattern drilled"

Delk

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:58 PM »

The hand brake make them very specific. Suzuki bits don't work.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:36 AM »

I need some help identifying my front brakes. I believe they are from a pickup or Bronco type vehicle. Can anyone help identify the brake pads below?

The caliper is a big ish single piston caliper and discs are 5 on 5.5" pattern but it could be custom matching or redrilled parts because it's on a custom axle.

I've done quite a bit of Google searching but no luck yet. Any help would be great

charlie jeep

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 01:57:44 AM »

EBay dp1145 pads (do a search and look at the image)- they look like late 70s firebird front pads maybe?

But that's not an expert opinion -just a guess!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 05:31:50 AM »

front fsj pads for 79

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dieselj20

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:17 AM »

Excellent, definitely look like they are FSJ pads. I was convinced they were Ford from what Simon mentioned in an email but hey.

Any idea the best place to get replacements? Lighthouse? There don't seem to be any on eBay or the online parts places.

Delk

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:22 AM »

The mid 70's Chevy Dana 44 brake pads should be the same as the FSJ ones if it helps for searching.

I have a front Dana 44 with Chevy backing plates, callipers and Ford hub and disc so I get a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

Ezz

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: TJ
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »

I love this club, mainly for shit like this, the knowledge some of you boys have is brill.  :icon_super:
2009 JK Rubicon now sold
1997 TJ wrangler 4.0, jk rubicon 5.38 geared  axles, 38.5 mud treps,  101" wheelbase

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »

i dont know nuthin of nuthin

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 01:23:53 PM »

James, have you tried USA automotive over here or even Rockauto now you have more of a clue as to what your after ?
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »

This is amazing for sure. I'll order from RockAuto if I can't find some to pickup or do next day. The current discs are as new just grubby and pads are OK after a clean up so I'll order new pads and swap them when they arrive.

Edit: US Automotive have them in stock and I can collect this afternoon. Thanks for the massive help, I've gone from not knowing what the parts were to having a new set ready to fit in the space of a day  :greggmo:

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »

Excellent, there be some clever buggers around here  :icon_super:

I just have experience of buying stuff from different places when the clever buggers tell me what I need  :003:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

5536paulj

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »

I might have some scruffy pads in the garage somewhere that might fit off a wagoneer front axle, could bring them to breakout.

The discs might be Ford but a big brake CJ has similar size discs to an FSJ but 5 x 5.5, got one of them somewhere too for you try if you want.

Real experts may flame me now, just trying to help, and clear out my garage.  :greggmo:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:16 PM »

All sorted now Paul, thanks

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »

Well, not quite sorted in turns out. New front calipers ordered, nsf seized on proper tight and was smoking like a demon after a 4 mile drive.

I'm assuming it's just from being stood up and the general lack of fine detail maintenance the Jeep got before it was parked up. Is there anything I should know about these FSJ brakes, are they just typical Jeep brakes that like to seize? They have metal pistons at least rather than bakelite stuff but is it worth having rebuild kits in the spares bag just in case?

I'm not sure the brakes are actually that good for a Jeep this size, my XJ on WJ fronts and Transit rears was better so I feel some mods coming on in the future  :icon_rolleyes:

Getting ready for MOT does mean I have a handbrake that works - Jeep novelty!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »

Are you running the YJ servo or the bigger TJ one....????

You've got 37s and some heavyaxles there....

My YJ on 33s would just pass an MOT brake test.
On 35s no way..... Which is why I went with Master Power Brakes Servo.....

Now I know more there are lots of Dodge Ram / F350 upgrades that can be done....Pirate is your friend here....lol
Beware though lots of people can't get them to work.......others reckon they can lock all four 40's at 50mph......guess the devil is in the detail, and the getting the pedal ratio correct which is where most screw up.

You are going to have sooo much fun...... :icon_super:

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

I think these brakes are the biggest likely to fit in the 15" wheel so it's going to have to be servo upgrades I think. its still got a metal brake fluid reservoir and I would have guessed a TJ or WJ upgrade to new servo and master cylinder would have replaced that.

Still so much to learn on this Jeep. Electrics still not 100% and I'm guilty of doing a few workarounds now which isn't going to help  :icon_redface:

Delk

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

As said I have a similar set up and they work great. Don't know of any issue with the calipers.

The pistons are much bigger so if you have long peddle travel you will need a bigger diameter master cylinder. If it's hard and not stopping well enough you need more pressure from a stronger booster or something.

I when I had a stock tj master with the 1" the peddle travel was really long and didn't flow enough. It worked but was just on the limits. Changed to a big dodge truck one with a 1.25" piston and it works and stops much better and the peddle feel is good. Would like a 1.125" one though as I think it would be a better mix of pressure and travel.

I am running 36 inch tires that are15.5 wide and can lock them up at will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up