Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2006/7 WK 5.7 front propshaft  (Read 1637 times)

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
2006/7 WK 5.7 front propshaft
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

After the diff bush/front lower BJ job at the weekend, and the discovery that the front prop front UJ is a bit notchy, I've been werreting about what to do about it...and found something a bit odd. The parts manual I have says it should be 52853431AA which is a double CV type prop, but the one one there is P52105728AD which is a CV & UJ type prop. More oddly, this is listed as a part for the earlier version of the GC, not mine??

I tend to get a bit confused by the US market 'model year' thing, but the Jeep was built in late 2006 which I think makes it a 2007 model year??

Anyhoo...wondering if I can just fit the double CV type prop?? The drive flange on the front diff has 8 bolt holes, so that kind of suggests 'no' to me as the CV joints have 6. Changing the flange is easy enough - took it off to do the upper diff bush, but once you start into mix & match parts it all gets a bit iffy I find. Fix one problem and make another. Unless i can find somone who erpairs staked in UJs, then it looks like I'll be coughing up for a new prop before too long.

Anyone got any experience with this??

TFL

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: 2006/7 WK 5.7 front propshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »

I can take photos and measurements off mine with the double CV if you want to compare?

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
Re: 2006/7 WK 5.7 front propshaft
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »

That's good of you James, yes please, but no urgency. It's OK at the moment and it does few miles so should last a good deal of time before it starts to need doing. I'm just doing my usual pre-emptive werreting.

There seems to be a choice of 3 lengths of the prop, plus I'd need a diff flange to suit, but that way, it would be easy to service should it need it in future and I won't be forced to go and pay Jeep prices for an OEM one.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up