Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Right, this is serious!!  (Read 46780 times)

demonicwillow

Re: Right, this is serious!!
« Reply #275 on: October 01, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »

You need to calculate a ball park figure size rad to give you a start point, personally i think you have air flow issues, you aint got cracked or pourous engine bits, yu got new cooling system components, so its either airflow or a few channels in yur rad are blocked preventing an even flow of the coolant, i was gonna suggest the pump as i have known circulator impellers expand on the shaft when hot and stop rotating whilst the shaft still turns but as yu have a new one thats highly unlikely, below is a link to a site that has a formula for sizing a rad, hope it helps.

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33260

xr6jeeper

« Reply #276 on: October 01, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »

Reading between the lines it sounds like a radiator problem, seeing as thats the one thing common to both engines, i run a big ali rad on mine, i think its 4 row, horizontal, not vertical as they are supposed to be more efficient, my lecy fan rarely comes on when driving and it takes a good 10 to 15 mins to kick in when starting up from cold, the key to a good cooling system is volume of water, so the more water you can get in it the better, my falcon engine originally ran about 16 or 17 litres, in the jeep it has about 12 litres :017: runs as sweet as a nut.
Does the transmission have enough oil in it, if not it will run hot causing the water to do the same.
Another thing to do is point a infa red thermometer at different areas of the rad to see if there is any difference, ie blocked.

Bulldog67

• Arthur Daley: Graduated
  • Guru
  • Guru: -936
  • Vehicle: Man Sized Old Iron
  • Anti Colour Truck Mafia - I'm The Fuckin Daddy
« Reply #277 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »

Cheers both

bit thoughts on rad with trans cooler or seperate trans cooler?
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #278 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »

transmission cooler in with the rad
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #279 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:58 PM »

I agree with Dave.......simple way out.....

BUT

With the hassle you have had get a monumental Summit trans cooler with thermostat and Leccy fan to keep that monster Th400 cool......

You could also  go with A pillar guages that show Trans fluid temp on way into cooler and also another to show temp on. Way out......... Then you know you're cooling it ........

xr6jeeper

« Reply #280 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »

I agree with Dave.......simple way out.....

BUT

With the hassle you have had get a monumental Summit trans cooler with thermostat and Leccy fan to keep that monster Th400 cool......

You could also  go with A pillar guages that show Trans fluid temp on way into cooler and also another to show temp on. Way out......... Then you know you're cooling it ........
:iagree:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2014, 11:33:30 AM »

since you dont know whats happening a simple swap and fit may not help, At this point you realy need to know temperatures of what the engine, radiator and transmission are doing practicality of kitting out to do this might not be in your favour. With the dash temp sensor is from the block and that appears to remain stable, this implies that you are generating enough heat into the coolant to cause it to boil and not having the ability to remove it.

If you're set on a 3 core rad (or bigger ??) then i would still look at the type with the inbuilt cooler and add an additional large cooler for the transmission in that loop and have that operated via a thermostatic valve to kep a consistent temperature.

At least then you are not using the O.E rad which could be restricted internally and the ally rad would allow for a higher flow.

how big was the original enige before the 401 swap?

Alfa 147 jtdm

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

I'm sure we have mentioned this but in the past .....with engines running hot and with front hinged hood unlatched and a empty can of coke lifting it a few inches..... It ran cooler....
(Oz ......sometime in my yoof :hysterical:)

Something called air stacking........ Air getting through the grill at speed but can't get out...... And things get hot especially with large engines....... Happens a lot trying to shoehorn 454s into small spaces apparently.

So it's either bigger holes in your hood or alloy blocks under the hinge supports.......
You could try the redneck test ......you  could take hood off for a blast and test....... :icon_twisted:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2014, 12:34:38 PM »

blast up the motorway with no hood gets my vote

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »

Im all up for more vents - was thinking a big ass scoop at the front to get air in and more vents at the back to get it out again .....?

While Im here - does this have the trans cooler parts: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part=1974+JEEP+WAGONEER+CUSTOM+-+6.6+liter+V8+RADIATOR+All+Aluminum+3-Row+HD&part_id=40468&aaia_id=1309867

And WTF are alternator belts actually called? And the other 2 belts? Cant find the frickers anywhere online so Im guessing Im calling them the wrong thing

Dave - it was a 360, that also overheated :011:
Bulldog's 22+ trucks: http://www.birtydastards.com/frm/index.php?topic=20288.0 :025:                                   :headbanger: 401 Dog * 401 Molotov :headbanger:  
Civilise the mind but make savage the body  :027:           Im only responsible for my karma :059:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »

yes

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

xr6jeeper

« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2014, 09:08:01 PM »

On page 2 of this thread you have a picture of a red anodised fitting in the bottom hose, if that fitting has the fan switch in it then its wrong, the fan switch should be in the top hose or even better in the thermostat housing,

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »

Cheers  :023:

Was spotted at CF and moved but cheers for taking the effort to look thru the thread mate

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »

run it wothout a bonnet and see what happens
Alfa 147 jtdm

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #289 on: October 11, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »

what are the belts called for the alternator etc in internet land?

was gonna replace all 3 (and get some spares) but cant find the buggers anywhere :017:

Nosebolt

« Reply #290 on: October 11, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »

V belt

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »

or fan belt even though it's not used to run a fan

jay140285

« Reply #292 on: October 11, 2014, 11:12:28 PM »

I am still a fan of removing the bonnet. To much air in the engine bay getting hot.

I know it's slightly different but on Fast and Loud this week they were competing at Pikes Peak Hill Climb. The car was getting hot due to to much air and no where for it to escape under the hood. Only an issue at speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #293 on: October 12, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »

If you have the remains of your belts so you can see the angle of the V etc......

Then try 'Bearing Boys' I have used then in the past for strange belts of different lengths.....website is good.
They also do bearings........surprise..... All bearings should have a number on then that is universal........ Cheaper than going back to ARB for new hub bearings on the YJ way back when I changed them.

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #294 on: October 12, 2014, 12:08:35 PM »

Im happy to try bonnet off but in reality Im not gonna get v far doing that before plod say 'excuse me young man, but WTF are you up yo?'

Besides, at the moment every time I want to start it I have to jump start and that is gettin on my tits

Will have a look Jez - cheers

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #295 on: October 12, 2014, 12:13:59 PM »

Bearing in mind I have a spare Bonnet somewhere I can afford to play around - so thoughts:

Big ass scoop at front facing forwards with additional bonnets at rear and side?

Big ass scoop rear facing in front and additional bonnet vents?

Big ass scoop rear facing in centre bout 3/4 way back?

Big ass scoop x2 two rear facing backwards at sides 1/2 way back?

Big ass scoop x2 at rear facing backwards with big ass scoop in front centre front facing?

Variations on the above?

j33pky

« Reply #296 on: October 12, 2014, 01:27:18 PM »

I have a couple of spare bonnets when you ruin that one... :098:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #297 on: October 12, 2014, 03:28:24 PM »

Here's an idea...... :icon_biggrin:

FSJ hoods are held on by the hinge/spring mech on the inside....... 4 bolts to hold hood onto the mechanism?.
I'm guessing here FSJ Birtys advise :icon_twisted:

Take one of those bolts out and get 4 tomorrow that are 30mm longer.......then I have got 4 stainless circular  30mm spacers that were seat risers that are looking for a home and are sitting idly on my workbench.

There you go instant 30mm air escape gap at rear of hood that you can do the motorway test on......
Shout if of interest..... :icon_super:

Bulldog67

• Guru
« Reply #298 on: October 12, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »

Sounds a plan Jez  :greggmo:

Will pm when I'm home cheers

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #299 on: October 12, 2014, 04:01:36 PM »

Here's an idea...... :icon_biggrin:

FSJ hoods are held on by the hinge/spring mech on the inside....... 4 bolts to hold hood onto the mechanism?.
I'm guessing here FSJ Birtys advise :icon_twisted:

Take one of those bolts out and get 4 tomorrow that are 30mm longer.......then I have got 4 stainless circular  30mm spacers that were seat risers that are looking for a home and are sitting idly on my workbench.

There you go instant 30mm air escape gap at rear of hood that you can do the motorway test on......
Shout if of interest..... :icon_super:

:iagree: dam good idea
you could run 4 nuts on each bolt to space in out
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up