Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WJ Brake Pads what make to go for ?  (Read 2158 times)

macabethiele

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Year: 2005
WJ Brake Pads what make to go for ?
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »

Just wondered what make of brake pads to go for on my 2005 WJ series 2.7 CRD.
Given the choice I prefer a softer pad but the options seem endless.
Is it best to stick the the original Mopar pads or would Brembo be a better choice.
What I do not want is squeaky brakes or hard high performance pads.

Anyone here got any advice ?
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

carljh

• Guru
Re: WJ Brake Pads what make to go for ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »

I usually get the Pads Eurocarparts sell never had any problems with them, calipers on the other hand are another story!
If yours are the originals don't be surprised if they start locking up and getting bloody hot when you put new pads in.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »

I don't know if they're also available for WJs, but I recently changed the front pads on my XJ to Mopar ones that I found on eBay. They say they're "vented", which I suppose they are as they have some holes in. Anyway, I've noticed a definite improvement in pedal feel since putting them on.  8-)

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »

I usually get the Pads Eurocarparts sell never had any problems with them, calipers on the other hand are another story!
If yours are the originals don't be surprised if they start locking up and getting bloody hot when you put new pads in.

I always clean up the slider mechanism and apply suitable grease where applicable and remove any brake gunge from the protruding part of the piston before pushing it back home. I can't see any reason why a Calpier that is free on the sliders would lock up unless the pistons have corroded badly behind the dust seals.
Certainly never happened on any brakes I have worked on in the last 50 years.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »

Another thing you can do when pushing the piston back in is to open the bleed screws. Any crap in the caliper will be forced out. Top up fluid as required when you're done.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »

the pistons are made from a very hard plastic so don't corrode, they are also machined to a very tight tolerance, over the years the pad end of the piston deforms so when you push it back in it sticks just enough to stop the seal from pulling the pad off the disc when you take your foot off the brakes. The pad ears also wear grooves in the bracket which also makes them stick, I've had 2 WJ's and both of them did it.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »

:iagree: Different Jeeps, but the grooves on the bracket have caused both our XJ and ZJ's brakes to seize on after pad replacement. I filed down the grooves to make them smooth, which stopped them from sticking but them caused horribly uneven pad wear.
They've now had the grooves welded in and no problems since.  :003:

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 04:57:32 PM »

the pistons are made from a very hard plastic so don't corrode, they are also machined to a very tight tolerance, over the years the pad end of the piston deforms so when you push it back in it sticks just enough to stop the seal from pulling the pad off the disc when you take your foot off the brakes. The pad ears also wear grooves in the bracket which also makes them stick, I've had 2 WJ's and both of them did it.

Plastic Pistons that's a new one on me !
My front brakes had Pads & discs when I bought her and she has done 30k miles in our ownership. The brakes have not had a binding issue and the Jeep is coming up for 97k miles.
The pads are about 50 % worn is it worth replacing them now before the pistons distort or will it be too late ?
The front brakes are Akabono Design not Ate do they both  have plastic pistons ?
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

carljh

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 01:57:21 AM »

just had a quick look on ebay for repair kits for the akebono calipers, its showing both plastic (phenolic) and metal pistons in the kits. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the seals are different for each type of piston, (the metal piston gets a thicker seal) so if you just go for a kit which just has the seals you need to make sure to get the correct ones for the pistons you have.
Personally I just got new calipers front and back, much quicker as I don't seem to have the skill and patience for putting new seals in calipers!

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

just had a quick look on ebay for repair kits for the akebono calipers, its showing both plastic (phenolic) and metal pistons in the kits. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the seals are different for each type of piston, (the metal piston gets a thicker seal) so if you just go for a kit which just has the seals you need to make sure to get the correct ones for the pistons you have.
Personally I just got new calipers front and back, much quicker as I don't seem to have the skill and patience for putting new seals in calipers!
If the pistons show any sign of sticking I will probably go for a Jeep full repair kit consisting of Pistons, Seals,Dust Covers and caliper slider repair kit. For me the cost of fitting complete Calipers is  a tad on the high side. My rear Calipers are fine I fitted new rear Discs & Pads two years ago with no sticking issues. As the rear brakes do very little they are still as good as new.

You are right about it being a fiddly job fitting new piston seals especially the dust seals seem to be very tricky  on most vehicles I have worked on in the past - it will all depend on what I find when I fit the front pads. Only reason I would replace the complete calipers would be time constraints in getting mobile asap.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500

macabethiele

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »

Well my new front pads have been in for two weeks now and no problems with binding.
Pistons went back easily, probably helped that the old ones were only around 60 % worn.
They were Akobono Type calipers, in the end fitted TRW from local parts supplier - feel just as good as whatever was in before.
Jeep WK 2.7 CRD
Jeep WJ 3.0 CRD
R129 SL 500
Pages: [1]   Go Up