Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rear axle 2.7 wj  (Read 2381 times)

merlin22red

rear axle 2.7 wj
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:08:32 PM »

Has anyone got any information about rear half shaft end float tolerances for the 2004 2.7 crd please, so i can ram it up an MOT testers bum, (the information that is )

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: rear axle 2.7 wj
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:40:55 AM »

The factory service manuals show both rear axles available have non c-clip half shafts so that suggests to me there should be no play. No reference to any play is given in the FSM. Maybe somebody else knows better.

carljh

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »

I have read on JeepForum you can get shims to eliminate the end float on dana axles which don't use the 'c' clip. I think he said he got them direct from Dana rather than the dealers.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »

No need. After you ask for an appeal form, ask him to point out in the testers' manual where it says he has to test for end float. (Section 2.6)

merlin22red

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »

The factory service manuals show both rear axles available have non c-clip half shafts so that suggests to me there should be no play. No reference to any play is given in the FSM. Maybe somebody else knows better.

Just some information from Dana USA via the uk factory

Hi Leslie

Please see below response from USA. Hope this helps

The typical end play for a unit bearing design such as the one in this customer’s vehicle is 0.005-0.007”. However, experience tells us end play up to 0.025” is acceptable

Many Thanks

Nigel Atterbury

Business Development - Aftermarket

Spicer Driveshaft UK Assembly Plant

welling4x4

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »

Has anyone got any information about rear half shaft end float tolerances for the 2004 2.7 crd please, so i can ram it up an MOT testers bum, (the information that is )
Well funny you should bring this up.
My Truck had failed the Mot for that So I contact Jeep direct to be told that there is a C clip that hold the shafts into the diff & That it's unlikely for them to wear .Took the info back to my MOT  man & with my new C clips in hand to find out that when he took them out they were exactly the same size. So he fitted it all back together and passed my Truck & wanted to charge me £300 quid for the pleasure of doing it. Can you guess what I gave him. A Headache that's what he got.  So the Answer is there's ment to have end float that's the make up of the jeeps.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:03:11 AM »

the axle does have movement in and out due to the design so should not be classed as a failure by the MOT inspector. movement up and down is a failure due to wear in the axle bearing.

its surprising how little experience some testers have on testing vehicles. not sure what they get taught at MOT school
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

bisleywrangler

• Admin
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: Wrangler
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

My tj, dana 44, had loads of end float, 2-3mm it never failed an mot. I never understood why it was there though as the wheel bearings are taper roller. I guess it should have been shim'd out really, I just never bothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up