Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust advice please  (Read 2292 times)

Nobby

Exhaust advice please
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »

hi all just been looking at the different options i have
1st was to make 1 and it all comes to about £175.00 that is a 2.5inch from cat back so i thought i would give my local long life a ring to save me the hassle and he quoted me £375.00 then proceeded to tell me dnt go above 2 inch as you will loose to much back pressure and these are renown for running better with more pressure is this right??

as ive mesured the current system on it now and its 2.5 to the cat and 2 after it with a wopping 545mm silencer in the middle so i thought just get a smaller box make it up with a 2.5 pipe and some bends and chuck it out through the rear bumper at 90 degrees to make it side exit and stop it drooping down

any one done their own or bought 1 all done?? or even some pics be fab

thanks in advance

Nobby

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Exhaust advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »

Not a ZJ but on my XJ I got box (well cherry bomb) and some bends from Jetex in 2.5" and with some cutting and welding got a cat back done. Probably about £100 in all. I was tempted to get a local place to make something up but the first two call I made were heading towards the £350 mark and mine is likely to be ripped off on rocks quicker than rust will kill it.

Nobby

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »

cheers for the reply James did you loose any power?? and is it too loud now and yes mine will probably be smashed and mangled so i dnt really want to spend silly money the worse cost ive worked out is the silencer

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:53:35 PM »

Jetex the way to go........again not on a ZJ but changed side exit box on the YJ to straight thro pipe to rear bumper and then small 12" straight thro box.....runs great and makes very little noise........which surprised me.......maybe cos it is last in line before venting to the atmos and has a long run of pipe preceding it.
having had a ZJ the box as you say is humungeous and a pain in the butt off road...... I have had to crawl under a mates ZJ numerous times with a 13mmm socket cos it's dragged on the scenery and pulled apart.
So small is good and tuck it up tight.

Top tip assemble your system with U clamps and when your happy take it to the bench and weld the joins getting rid of the U clamps that will otherwise get loose get hit or just get rusty. :icon_biggrin:

Nobby

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »

so bit of a update for any of you guys thinking of doing the same spoke to a sound guy at some place i found on ebay and his suggestions are 2.5 from cat back but use a 6 x 16 or 18 inch silencer then just use 2.5 inch straights and bends to suit i reckon it can be done in stainless for around £150 and about 3 hours work  which as damn lot cheaper than anything ive found so far so think that is the way to go
these are the guys http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mijexhaust?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »

Mine's a 2.5" cat back custom made with mid box 18 silencer.
Runs sweet

Nobby

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »

is it too loud or could it be louder???

willo

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7
  • Year: 1982
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »

it can always be louder  :icon_super:

I need to release the bark on my V8 ZJ soon also

have you looked at a flowmaster 40 back box?

Nobby

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »

it only has 1 box Willo and going by the sounds it produces on you tube it may get on my tits after a while unless you have heard 1 on a similar vehicle

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »

is it too loud or could it be louder???
It about right nice rumble but won't get u pulled by the plod

Nobby

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »

:greggmo:

Nobby

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »

so lots more research and found a cheaper version to Willos suggestion these boxes are for nothing when you look at it so looks like its time to get the glue gun out and make 1

pics and stuff to follow

eBay auction: #http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330915967123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just-boot-it

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »

I have a borla manifold through to a 60mm bore janspeed stainless cat back system on my xj, cost about £400 in total and sounds sweet  :icon_super:

Nobby

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »

had a bit of a binding brake issue so decided to investigate and fix whilst under there i had a look at the state of the zorst and found that when they fitted the lpg they decided to give it a slight tweek with a lump hammer so it would all fit although i have been told it is like this from standard but some how i dnt think it is this bad it must be down to about a 1inch bore at the worst part

what you recon

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:51 PM »

the only flat exhaust i have seen is on the over axles for the xj/r jaguars, as long as the internal cross section is the same as the pipe then it is seen as not imposing a restriction
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Nobby

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »

ok guys im really stumped now when they fitted the lpg they moved the guard forward so thats why i know have a flat zorst as there just no room to get anything through there the centre of the pipe is probably about .75 of a inch so the back pressure must be mental and probably why the headgasket has gone

now do i really need the rear anti roll bar as i know some can be removed or does any one else have any suggestions or pics on how or where to route this thing other wise

thanks again

Nobby

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »

so we got round to doing the zorst today and it was worse than we thought some people should not be let loose on cars ffs

sounds sweet now just got a few tweeks to do

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »

keep an eye on the copper pack flexi pipe as these tend to rot from the inside out
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up