Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheating WJ  (Read 992 times)

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
Overheating WJ
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »

Stuck in traffic this afternoon and the temp went off the gauge. Both check lights on and warning tone. Flipped the hood expecting to be engulfed in steam but nothing. Header tank was up to the level and when it cooled I found the rad was full. :017: Sqeezed the top hose and saw hose movement further down so my assumption is that the thermostats ok, so the only other thing that came to mind was the water pump. The question is, as there was no leak visible anywhere is it possible for the water pump impellers to seize or break off without any external signs or does anyone else have a suggestion. 4 ltr lpg btw.  Thanks

georgen

Re: Overheating WJ
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

It is possible for impeller to fail on pump and have no leaks, if pipes were not rock hard its not a pressure build up, when cooled down try removing a small pipe and starting to see if pump pushes water around. was your heaters still working as in heat?

Hillbilly

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:23:51 AM »

Ruled out the water pump. Plenty of circulation. Took it out and up to normal temp, tried the heater and initially no heat. After a few minutes the heat came blasting through and the header tank went from full to empty. Still no sign of leaks anywhere.

STUARTF

• Guru
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »

Thermostat then if no leaks and w/p working
Stuart

Fizz

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »

Is there a viscous fan on this or electric are they funtioning

Hillbilly

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:20:44 AM »

Viscous fan is working, no crud around the rad. I had a eureka moment over the weekend. About 15 years ago I had a 4 Ltr XJ that used to leak intermittently from the water pump. No idea how that was possible. I thought they leaked or they didn't. Took ages to finally catch it in the act. Assuming this is the same problem with some air locking thrown in, so new pump and for what they cost a new thermostat going in. See how we go.

Hillbilly

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »

Water pump showing anti freeze stains on the outside body, electric fan not kicking in. Don't do electrics, and just as well. The failure wasn't the fan, there is a relay in the most inaccessible place. Thanks to Peak Jeep for identifying and replacing said item.  :icon_super: Jeep is now back to normal temps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up