Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TJ drum to disc  (Read 4262 times)

Carlos Fandango

TJ drum to disc
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »

I have a friend who has a TJ with a D44 rear axle that originally had drum brakes and at some point some one has converted them to discs but not very well.
Is there a proper drum to disc conversion for this I know Crown and others do one for a D35 ?
If not what would be required to use the D35 kit?

Thanks

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Cockney Boy

Re: TJ drum to disc
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:00:08 PM »

SSBC on mine but it will set you back a £1000

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »

There is a very bold statement within that sales blurb

"The internal drum parking brake provides outstanding holding power when compared to other disc brake conversions"
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »

Before I sold my axles for the 1 tons I used the discs off a ZJ and various accociated parts like pads and calipers and hand brake stuff..... On the dana 44

The result....... Brakes that weren't affected by mud ...... Well ..no so badly.

A handbrake that worked as well as a drum brake handbrake on a good day.....

But braking was no better overall.......

So a lot of work for no monster improvements.

Since then VW calipers have been used on rears and of course the WJ front conversion........so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »

get some calipers off a car with a mech handbrake on the disk rather than internal drums. Ford Sierra or mk1 or 2 mazda mx5 are ones I have used

Delk

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »

I have Transit calliper switch the built in hand brake. I had the terafex kit for ten years and it never worked from new.

cheese_aholic

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »

Sort of on topic guys, but could anyone advise how to tighten the handbrake on my TJ with rear disc conversion...?

Delk

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »

The three cables join above the transfer case. The one to the lever has a nut on a threaded shaft for adjustment.

cheese_aholic

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »

Simple as that eh Delk?! I thought I had to take wheels off and stuff to adjust it on the brakes... Cheers...

Arno

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »

Got my TJ for 4years now and I could never get the handbrake to work properly, replaced everything in the back, still rubbish..

Was looking into the drum to disc conversion kits, but most say it makes no real difference..  So curious to know, what can be done to improve overall braking and get the handbrake to continuously work properly and not just for the first 5 times

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »

MikeC aka Cuffy on J33 site has done a VW transporter rear disc with disc calipers for handbrake and it works well apparently.....

Ezz

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: TJ
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »

I'm just about to do a disc conversion on my TJ, the jk axles that are on it have rear disc brakes but the hand brake works via the shitty little shoes on the inside of the disc, waste of time in the poop. So I'll be fitting some rear calipars ( not sure of what yet vehicle yet) that have the hand brake that works off the brake pads..
2009 JK Rubicon now sold
1997 TJ wrangler 4.0, jk rubicon 5.38 geared  axles, 38.5 mud treps,  101" wheelbase

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

Only other way is transmission brake off the back of your  231, dana300, or Atlas.....and you can spec that when you order your Atlas....... :icon_biggrin:

Expect lots of money for the last example and slightly less but lots of work for the others......and in my case I would need to cut an f for large hole in the floor :jpshakehead:

Yet another idea is aux calipers and a hydraulic handbrake......my rear 1/2 ton Chevy discs are hydraulic handbrake supplied and hold on any slope.
Seen it done so that there are two pairs of calipers .....one for 4 wheel braking system as normal and other a dedicated pair for handbrake....
If you keep the limp factory one just for MOT day then you're sorted :icon_super:

daggie

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »

I have zg rear discs,08 astra rear calipers and carriers. I fabbed me own axle to carriers brackets :003:
Grand cherry, 3.0 crd Overland
Grand cherry, 2.7 crd
95, Cherry, aka Blackie      P38 range rover

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »

I wouldn't really recommend my setup as easy but I have Transit rear calipers and re-drilled Discovery discs. Lots of fabrication was involved but the brakes are and improvement on the road and the handbrake is great.

Delk

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:41 PM »

I am running Transit calipers and modified Landy discs. I could do all the fab work and machining for free so it was well worth it. Hand brake works great for the first time.

That said i have a teraflex disc set for free to anyone willing to take it away. It should be complete except the rings for the bearing spacers. The hand brake uses the little drum and suck.

isle of man

• بعض العضو التناسلي النسوي...
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 6
  • Vehicle: G-Class AKA “The G spot”
  • Take the road less travelled...
    • http://www.4x4.im
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:55:46 PM »

Only other way is transmission brake off the back of your  231, dana300, or Atlas.....and you can spec that when you order your Atlas....... :icon_biggrin:

I have this combo, goes through pads for fun on the transmission brake.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Pages: [1]   Go Up