Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making the move from WJ to WK (i think!)  (Read 3279 times)

gregwho

Making the move from WJ to WK (i think!)
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »

Hey all

My WJ is 14 years old, of which ive had a fun 9 years from it, but its starting to get a little long in the tooth.  Nothing fundamentally wrong (engine, drivetrain and body all solid), but there are more niggles and I seem to get a new thing every month (this months one is the driver seat is starting to get loose where the base and back are joined so it moves slightly and clicks on braking and accelerating!).  Normally, I would happily pull everything apart, sort it, and carry on, but home life is way too busy right now to be able to spend anytime doing this.

So, this leaves me with a thought that Dutch put in my head about a year ago (cheers for that by the way!), and look to upgrade to a WK.

I know the WJ inside and out along with the common things that will always go, and what the various models have included, but I know jack-all about the WK's.  I've looked up wkjeeps.com and got some good info there, but wondered if anyone could furnish me with a UK view?  I'd like to know what the common things are that will go wrong so that when I start looking around I know what to ask about history wise e.g. if the fuel pump has been changed.

Is the 4x4 system similar to that on the WJ's and is it pretty decent?  Not that it will see much mud, but nice knowing what its capable of just in case.

In my head I have it that i'm looking for a late model, 09 or 10 (my thinking being they've ironed out all the issues by then!), and I would like all the toys, but not the wood interior (have it on the WJ now and think it looks dated) so I think that excludes the Overland.  I'd like rear heated seats (its on my daughters wish list!!) and I think this was an optional extra rather than something that was included on certain models?  Did any of the models get factory lifts (ive got the up country suspension on mine)?

Theres one on the trader at the moment which fits the above list quite well, but its got 141k on the clock and its going for £7k.  Any thoughts on that type of mileage on one of these and does that seem an ok price?

Any thoughts or insights would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
Re: Making the move from WJ to WK (i think!)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »

Greg,

Apologies for putting that thought in your mind  :003:

Maintenance (FSH) is king - preferably Jeep.

Apart from the recurring ball joints the WK is a far superior beast over the WJ.  There are a few other things to look out for but nothing scary.

I'm more than happy to share my experience (service & otherwise) with the Predator over the last 4 years with you.
Bought at 108K now 130K.

You have PM.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »

I had an 06 CRD from 72k miles to 140k miles. I think mine was a Friday afternoon car as it had some electrical gremlins when I got it. If something like that happens it's main dealer only and minimum £500 bills when it needs attention. It did also eat ball joints and need a replacement cv joint on the driveshaft that was harder to fix than it should have been (without buying a new complete Mopar driveshaft from a dealer for £800)

However, I did best part of 70k miles in 2.5 years and it wasn't expensive to run if you spread the odd bigger bill over the time and mileage.

Awesome engine and fun to drive, 4WD is really good and does it all for you. With the tiptronic gear box it gives loads of control in slippery conditions.

I'd be tempted to go for a 55 reg for the lower road tax bracket but and extra £250 a year isn't the end of the world

gregwho

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »

Thanks Roe and James for the replies, and sounds like the WK is pretty decent. From a bit of googling occasional electrical gremlins are the main issue and majority of those are covered by TSBS. I can handle if it chews through a few ball joints (in honesty the WJ has a habit of doing that too!).

So I'm definitely going to do it! Just need to find a decent one that meets the criteria. Will keep an eye on the trader.

Quick question about the infotainment, are there any USB sockets so you can plug in usb sticks, or even better an SD card slot for storing music on? Is there a way to have rear seat entertainment powered from the headunit (if screens are fitted of course!)?

Roe, thanks for the PM will buzz you tomorrow if ok?

Cheers again guys

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »

Hi Greg,

No worries, any time 09:00/16:00 is best.

Got a few pointers/things to look for/check in FSH not mentioned above.

AFAIK they only come with the standard radio/CD unit - some limited's with double din radio & 6 CD disc changer + satnav in the dash (which is poor quality btw) and no fancy connectivity options - maybe the later ones have but dunno.  I know Jay changed for an all singing/all dancing (not mopar) double din audio/satnav unit.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

I think to have some decent functions it's necessary to ditch the Jeep head units in most models. They seem to be really behind the times or at least the Germans in terms of Bluetooth streaming and working with phones

gregwho

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »

That's a shame, was hoping to not have to pull the new one apart, I've only recently done the double din conversion on the wj and fitted a Blaupunkt. Looking at wkjeeps.com there are different models of the HU so I'm hoping one of the later ones is a bit better. If not, I'm guessing the hole is standard 2 din so it should be a relatively simple swap out? Stupid question, does the HU still work once you switch off the engine? The wiring on the wj means that once you kill then engine you turn off the acc feed and it's a pita if you pull up somewhere and turn the engine off, I have to wait for the reboot time to carry on listening to the radio/cd/mp3 etc which is annoying!

Jay, what made you ditch your WK in the end?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »

a) Looking at wkjeeps.com there are different models of the HU so I'm hoping one of the later ones is a bit better.

b) If not, I'm guessing the hole is standard 2 din so it should be a relatively simple swap out?

c) Stupid question, does the HU still work once you switch off the engine?

d) Jay, what made you ditch your WK in the end?

a) Like James said I think they are all a bit pre-historic
b) Yes
c) I think it does until you open the door. (shit, you make me think abt it now)  :003:
d) First question which one? .... LOL .... The CRD went to have cash for his business start up and to buy a 'work' truck - the Hemi .... no idea.

geoff1p

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

I have a 2010 overlander the hu is a Boston system and has satnav  cd USB hard drive jack plus and iPod input had it a year now with no problems but it only has 38000 on it

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »

Hi Geoff, 

Welcome to the club and thanks for the imput.  Now tell us abt your Jeep history and pics of your ride  :003:

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »

Greg,

Good to talk this arvo.

To recap :

Depending on age & mileage of what you're interested in :

Check status of FSH and when last of the below done
- Swirl motor & upgrade (£500)
- Shocks (front only £500)
- Discs, ball joints, tyres & general running gear.
- Last year @ 125K I had to renew my drive shaft seals front & rear.
- And roundabout the same time the crank position sensor had enough but that was a £125 fix.
- Check condition of valve stems.  They're aluminium and corrode away so tire loses pressure. May involve fix
by either replacing valve stems only or stems & tire pressure sensor.  In any case when tires have low pressure
the bing-bong comes on in the dash and is a pita.  I removed altogether and have rubber valves.  The message still comes up
in the odometer message whatsits but at least I know tire pressure is ok. bing-bong only on start up.
New pressure sensors have to be programmed into CPU by jeep or handyman with reader.

In general if it's too good to be true ...... be weary and keep your eyes peeled.

Whatever you find on-line, please post here first and we'll give it the once over. :003:

jay140285

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:49:03 AM »

As said, the CRD went to put money into starting up my business. We both really regret selling it as it was the perfect jeep for us.

I'll find my thread about a the installs etc in it.

The WK V8, that was epic but we bought Nat a new horse and she went from towing 1 or 2 times a month to twice a week. 9mpg towing.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

jay140285

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »

The CRD

jay140285

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »

The V8

geoff1p

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »

Hi Geoff, 

Welcome to the club and thanks for the imput.  Now tell us abt your Jeep history and pics of your ride  :003:
She's nothing special I'm afraid just a 3ltr V6 CRD no upgrades​ yet

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

gregwho

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »

Thanks again all for the replies, and my search is on-going....I have found what I think is a decent WK and Dutch mentioned that some of our members have access at work to do a bit of a history search on cars, and I wondered if I could be cheeky and see if anyone could check out the following two.  First one on the bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-3-0-CRD-S-Limited-Diesel-Auto-/162447136251?hash=item25d29a95fb:g:FQYAAOSwax5YzC-t

Second has only just been posted on AutoTrader, and no pics yet, but seems cheap (my guess no service history and will avoid if true), again though if anyone could look this up and let me know anything they find about it, would be very grateful:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703303853315?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=GRAND%20CHEROKEE&aggregatedTrim=S%20Limited&advertising-location=at_cars&make=JEEP&year-from=2009&sort=datedesc&radius=1500&postcode=gu167eq&page=1

Jay, if I could find your first WK, would snap it up in a second!!!

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

Greg,

The first one (as guide only) : https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

MOT history of this vehicle
Test date2 March 2017 Expiry date10 March 2018
Test ResultPass
Odometer reading85,981 miles
MOT test number5534 8387 5554

Test date11 March 2016 Expiry date10 March 2017
Test ResultPass
Odometer reading 78,393 miles
MOT test number3853 0323 3745
Advisory notice item(s)
Nearside Front Inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Offside Front Inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Nearside Front Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)

Test date11 March 2016 Test ResultFail
Odometer reading78,392 miles
MOT test number2945 5692 1021 Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (3.5.1g)
Advisory notice item(s)
Nearside Front Inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Offside Front Inner brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
Nearside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)
Nearside Front Front suspension has slight play in a lower suspension ball joint (2.5.B.1a)

If you ask Green Jeep (Maf) nicely on PM I'm sure he can run it through his garage's computer too see if there are any hidden gremlins on line.

jay140285

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »

Greg, so would we. 2 ladies in bristol bought it and the one lady was jeep through and through

Pages: [1]   Go Up