Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CJ7 Tub fitting issues - show me your back end!!!!!  (Read 3299 times)

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
CJ7 Tub fitting issues - show me your back end!!!!!
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:32:01 PM »

As the title says I am after some advice with my tub and in particular how it lines up at the back

I will attempt to post some pictures below but in short i bought a tub from the garage that used to rebuild very, very expensive CJs and good timing as i was just shipping my other tub out to Jeepky but it meant i only had a day to offer up to my chassis before it went to the painters. all lined up and a very solid and straight tub. now the issue.......

now ive finally framed myself to put it all back together ive noticed a strange line up of the holes in that all mounting points are approx 10mm too far forward for the tub apart from the rear mounting points that are exact centre.
The tub will not go any further forward as it has a rear section of the tub that sits directly under the tailgate and sits into the gap between the fuel tank and rear bumper that is already pushed up hard against the fuel tank.

hopefully if the pictures have worked below it should show the 'downstand' piece of metal and as i no longer have a tub to compare it to as it rotted away i need to know -
1) does the tub shit exactly in line with the rear crossmember?
2) is the 'downstand' section of metal larger than usual as i dont recall mine looking like that?
3) does it require any downstand as i suspect i will have to cut it all back as you can see in the pictures it is already clashing with the fuel tank

cheers in advance

djrr6

• Guru
Re: CJ7 Tub fitting issues - show me your back end!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »

not too sure why some have decied to post sideways however also posted the picture showing the bolt in the newly fitted mount out of line as well as the other mount ( the correct hole is the crescent part just at the edge of the mounting hole along with the perfect center rear mount??!?!?!?!?

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »

looking at my 7, the rear of the tub is aligned with the face of the rear bumper so comparing your pictures your tub needs to go backwards the distance of the rear bumper. this will then give you clearence on your fuel tank but then your mounting holes will be out. has the xhasis been repaired and stretched?
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »

No chassis original and looking at the tub it seems completely original apart from the metal piece that comes down at the back which seems to be longer than usual.

As before the strange thing is the back holes seem about there but all others as approx 10mm out so guess my first thought is lift the tub and chop the metal part to a smaller level which will get my tub to line up with the rear bumper and not run the tank.

The other thing to this is don't want tub running against the fuel tank getting warm so prob have to cut it either way. Deep joy cutting newly painted tub!!!

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »

Did you by any chance buy your tub from Rework Jeeps?

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »

I did mate yeah.it was during the 'fire sale ' And wish I'd picked up some more bargains. Dave sparky got some doors but there was a 360 sat there I wish I'd snapped up.

Really good condition just slightly out of line so wanted people's opinion before I get my grinder out.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:11:13 PM »

Because I still can for approx 15 hours  :icon_sad:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 08:52:36 PM »

now Dutch has started, ill get some photos of the cj rear. At least you will have some to compare.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »

Cheers Dutch

Looks like yours is exactly in line with end of chassis so I'm thinking I'm going to have to chop the metal off to get it to fit.

After so many years off road I want it right now it's cost the wmeqyivalent of a small house in cash and more man hours than I ever thought possible.

Do love a picture of a CJ7!

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »

Thanks for your help and think I have found the actual problem.

The good folks at rework jeeps have replaced the rear cross section at some point whilst rebuilding the tub and done a fantastic job every apart from getting the correct size box section

On an original jeep it recesses slightly and provides space for the fuel tank to sit and still have clearance. As my box section is approx 10mm too big despite me melting in a hot garage cutting off the lip it would seem it still catches.

Leaves me with 3 realistic options

Fix the rear bolts and the front bolts ( by the bulkhead) and then try to create a mounting point in the middle afterward

Cut out the box section and try get a thinner one welded into my fancy painted new tub

Investigate whether the plastic fuel tank is smaller providing a bit more clearance???

eastryjeep

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »

What about modifying the tank? If anything like mine it wont be a big loss and some fresh metal in the top might stop the fuel jumping out!
You could even go so far as a new fabricated tank that fits in snugly with a built in skid plate.

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 07:17:40 PM »

Must admit I am considering either new tank or modded version and bit of a bastard now finally started mounting everything into it but that's life

For the briefest on margins needed I'm also thinking about giving the tank a 'tap' in places and hoping it doesn't rupture as if I take it out I will def need new boots on skid plate all around, new tank straps and probably a lot of cocking about trying to get something back into the spot with broken boots to be replaced.

Joys of jeeps

eastryjeep

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »

Which year CJ7 tank do you have, I saw a UK seller on ebay(UK) who had various year options.
I found that my '77 tank always poured fuel back out of the filler on steep uphill gradients so was considering relocating my filler to the RHS of the tub, more or less behind the tail light and using aluminium pipe, silicone elbows and double jubilee clips at the joints, I'd have to make up a recess so it doesn't get taken out by a malicious tree but watching fuel pour all over the deck really used to annoy.
I'll probably run a bonding lead along it too, but thats just habit!

Link below is just for "jeep cj7 fuel" but might help.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xjeep+cj7+fuel.TRS0&_nkw=jeep+cj7+fuel&_sacat=0

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 10:06:57 PM »

Cheers and been pouring over e bay to make sure I have the option if need to swap it out. It's an 81 so got the two same size pipes on the rh side.

I think my chosen plan is going to be to drop the tank and the skid pan down ten mil and see if i can get the clearance in the tub and then go from there. If there is enough thread on the drop bolts it could be worth putting spacers into the  skid pan and cheating the space that way

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »

How did you get on with this? I was watching with interest as I have a "Rework fire sale" rebuilt/painted CJ7 chassis (probably the one that was supposed to fit under your tub...) sitting on its side at the back of my shed waiting for the day I get round to using it....

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 04:34:16 PM »

in all honesty I have been involved in starting up my new business so the jeep has taken a back seat for a while but I picked up my newly painted bonnet and wings today so hoping I can get up there this week and sort it.

I'm going to drop my tank out and fit the tub in place and then look at easier way to fit afterwards as think that's easiest way to get it in one place and wings on etc.

I have seen a few pictures on American sites and they have had similar issues and they used a piece of channel in between the tank and the chassis which meant the same chassis bolts could be used for the only down side of lowering the tank height by approx an inch which sounds like a good plan

One thing I will say about rework is they have done a very good job of the tub in general and it's clear how they did it they had a plan for it so I wouldn't worry about your chassis
Pages: [1]   Go Up