Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ Radiator Recommendations?  (Read 1624 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
XJ Radiator Recommendations?
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

It looks to me like my mystery coolant leak in the XJ is coming from my 2-year old radiator. It's an all aluminium 3-core one, which I bought thinking it would last longer!  :banghead:

As this has been so disappointing, where would you guys recommend getting a replacement? There are of course plenty on eBay, but I don't know much about them and what to look for to determine whether they're any good...

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: XJ Radiator Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »

I've had a Nissens rad in my TJ for about 6 years now. Plastic tanks with alli core. You can get them on ebay.

Edit: Now I'm home on the laptop, I'll add that Nissens are an OEM manufacturer for many brands (though not Jeep), so the quality is very good.

sven

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:17:05 PM »

I went with the cheapest I could find. Lasted over 5 years without problems.
Did the same a few years later with another one. Been fine for over 2 years so far.
I think the seller was called budgetradiators.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'd heard of Nissens but wasn't 100% sure.

I'm having a hard time locating this leak for sure. The viscous fan looks like it's lightly covered in coolant (only on the rear), and a lot of the inside of the radiator looks wet. The hoses are good and don't seem to be leaking at the ends.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to locate it for definite?

sven

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »

Get the system pressurised when it's cold. That should help. Also, I am not sure, but can't you get a dye?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »

Thank you, I'll have to get it investigated.
I've ordered a new (returnable) radiator now so that if necessary I can replace it this weekend. I haven't yet decided whether or not I'm feeling too lazy to do it myself though...  :003:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »

My new radiator arrived today, however (as happened with the last one) the slots for the electric fan/fan shroud to mount are the wrong way around, as on a LHD Jeep. On closer inspection, every single radiator I can see on eBay or Eurocarparts has the wrong configuration. :banghead:

Where can I find one with these slots the right way round?

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 10:38:52 PM »

I just found a .ie site with a Nissens online catalogue search and nothing comes up for XJ even trying RHD rad part numbers.

Other than asking at a local parts store...

Try Rockauto with the forum discount. They have a few brands with RHD listed. My personal choice would be Valeo from the manufacturers available.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »

This is proving to be a right pain!

On a whim I called the dealer, who surprisingly quoted me £140 for an OEM radiator. I went to collect this morning only to find that this one had not only the fan mountings the wrong way around, but the transmission cooler lines were on the wrong side as well! They were insistent that the part number was correct, and even called the technical help line who told them that it was the right part.
They were completely stumped when I then told them to compare it with my XJ which was parked outside. :hysterical:

Anyway, I've taken your advice Jonny: the ones from RockAuto are the only ones I've seen that actually have the correct picture, so I've ordered one from there. I've gone for a Spectra one as the consensus in the US seemed to be that they're of good quality, and often made in Canada rather than China.
So much for getting this sorted quickly, but hopefully this will at least be the right one! 8-)

I've got a couple of days without the XJ now anyway as it's off to Peak Jeep tonight for a few bits that I'm too lazy to sort/investigate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up