Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Cherokee remote locking  (Read 1657 times)

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
Grand Cherokee remote locking
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

My 2001 GC is rather intermittent when it comes to unlocking and locking with the remote. Some days it will work first time but more often than not it takes 5-6 attempts and around 20 on a bad day. It seems better if I'm on the passenger side and nearer the door and never works if I'm more than about 5 yards from the car. I'm going to try new batteries although they both measure 2.97 volts. Failing that, I assume it's either a ground issue or the module itself? Which door is it in on a RHD? If I change the module, am I going to have to go to Jeep to get the remotes re-coded?

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
Re: Grand Cherokee remote locking
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »

Have a search on the web, there is a mod to solder a longer arial to  the reciever module (its in the passenger door) My '99 had about a 2 ft range, my '02 has about 20ft.

TC

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »

When it doesn't work straight away, I hit the lock button about 3 times and then the unlock seems to work.
Don't ask me why but it does?

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »

Yup, the remotes on the WJ are pants.  I had to hover mine backwards & forwards 2 inches from the drivers window while pushing he unlock button.

I know it don't solve your problem but a problem shared is a problem halved, No ?   :003:

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:46:22 AM »

I'm glad it isn't just me! I've also found that sometimes locking again helps it unlock quicker. Ironically, it worked first time every time yesterday (no new batteries yet either) so I'll keep an eye on it. I'll bear the aerial extension in mind though, I found several sites to add an aerial into the remote so the door module may need more digging.
Pages: [1]   Go Up