Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Xi - stuck in part time  (Read 1700 times)

Unforgiven

New Xi - stuck in part time
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »

Driving home from buying an Xj. Got stuck in traffic on m25. Played with lever, and now stuck in high range part time 4x4. Tranny noisy. Lever moves but no effect.

Help please

YT

Re: New Xi - stuck in part time
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »

At a guess, linkage has let go. No doubt someone who has had their head up round there more recenty than me will confirm, or point ya in the right direction  :)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »

Are all the tires the same size, type etc.?
When my XJ used to have the same tires front and rear but with different wear levels it used to get horribly stuck in part-time.

The moment I put four equal wear-level tires on it was immediately fixed.

Also, how are you trying to shift? I know that you should be able to change 4wd setting at any speed but I found that the following works 99% of the time for me:
  • Make sure you are going in a dead straight line at a normal speed (1 to maybe 50ish mph)
  • Release throttle
  • Put transmission in neutral
  • FIRMLY and quickly move transfer case to desired setting
  • Put transmission back into drive
  • Continue driving
Often when shifting mine to 2wd it doesn't switch for several seconds - I then hear a small pop and it does.

jay140285

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »

As Bryn said that should do it, mine used to take a bit of force as well so don't be afraid the use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demonicwillow

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »

Mines always doing that sometimes  :003: seriously tho it does it most of the time cos it dont get shifted much plus im thinking something is worn inside of it as its beginning to rumble quite bad in anything other than 2wd, I wang it back n for loads whilst stopped very quickly and get it into full time 4x4 then with mild acceleration push it into 2wd then take my foot off the pedal and mostly it pops in, I have also noticed that by slackening the full time/part time switch on the transfer case allows it to select easily which I have done on a couple of occasions so am thinking it may have something to do with that internally.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »

driving it slow in a straight line, dropping into neutral and a litle blip of the throttle sometimes helps.

get underneath and spray the linakge with wd40 as the lack of use does siexe them up leading to a slow chenge.
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Unforgiven

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »

Cheers guys.

Went out there this morning and it had fixed itself.  :jpshakehead:

So I (obviously) went about trying to make it do it again!

In the end I jacked it up and went underneath, got the wife to pull the lever ( :icon_biggrin:) and nothing seems untoward under there. I went crazy with the WD40 and got her to give the lever a good back and forth while I squirted (yeah, i know i'm doing it on purpose). I then had to go out in it, so I didn't chance messing with it. Good tips above.

Thanks again

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »

the more you use it the less chance of it sticking especially when you need it the most
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

ChrisS

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:26:52 PM »

Did a similar trick back when I got my XJ. Got it stuck in part time 4x4 so decided to return home rather than complete journey. Got home, pulled onto the gravel parking area, it went 'TWANG' and jumped out of part time 4x4 as soon as the wheels were able to move independantly. Was concerned it was a problem but as mentioned, the more it got used, the better it got at shifting in & out of diff lock.

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »

All good advice above. Usually you will find the more you use the transfer box, the smoother and easier it will become. Whatever you do don't run it in part time on tarmac for any length of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up