Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto transmission noise - aka box of marbles...  (Read 2158 times)

jon3067

Auto transmission noise - aka box of marbles...
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »

Hi all

I have a 2002 4litre TJ - 3 speed auto box - I think it is the 32RH. Just getting everything ready for the annual MOT - put it in reverse and what a racket - like a load of loose bolts in a washing machine. Put it back into P - and the noise went away - but present in all gears. Seems to shift ok - and fluid levels are good - had a new filter and fluids about 11 months ago - but only covered around 400 miles since then.

Did a bit of internet detecting - and a cracked flex plate / bolts backing out seemed like a potential cause - whipped off the inspection plate, turned the plate via by hand - using a spanner up front - and all bolts tight, no signs of anything catastrophic and fired the engine up - and symptoms still there - with the plate off this time.

I have no idea where to start - noise definitely seems to be coming from the vicinity of the bell housing - but could be from anywhere in the area - its not the engine - as it only happens when the alto box is under some form of load / in neutral.

Heres a link to a pretty dodgy video - but gets the noise across i think (34 seconds has the clearest sound) :

I whipped off the oil cooler pipes to check the pump is working - and yup - that seems to be ok - (few seconds in neutral to engage the pressure - put the fluid back in - was red but a bit "cloudy" - not sure if this means anything - no glitter in it either - although have to whip off the pan to really check if theres bits of metal flapping around.

The sound is best described as something not quite engaging - I will add a youtube clip in a bit.

Does anyone know of any places in the midlands that can look at this, diagnose and fix - its outside of my comfort zone tbh.

Jon

dieselj20

Re: Auto transmission noise - aka box of marbles...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »

Hi all

I have a 2002 4litre TJ - 3 speed auto box - I think it is the 32RH. Just getting everything ready for the annual MOT - put it in reverse and what a racket - like a load of loose bolts in a washing machine. Put it back into P - and the noise went away - but present in all gears. Seems to shift ok - and fluid levels are good - had a new filter and fluids about 11 months ago - but only covered around 400 miles since then.

Did a bit of internet detecting - and a cracked flex plate / bolts backing out seemed like a potential cause - whipped off the inspection plate, turned the plate via by hand - using a spanner up front - and all bolts tight, no signs of anything catastrophic and fired the engine up - and symptoms still there - with the plate off this time.

I have no idea where to start - noise definitely seems to be coming from the vicinity of the bell housing - but could be from anywhere in the area - its not the engine - as it only happens when the alto box is under some form of load / in neutral.

Heres a link to a pretty dodgy video - but gets the noise across i think (34 seconds has the clearest sound) :

I whipped off the oil cooler pipes to check the pump is working - and yup - that seems to be ok - (few seconds in neutral to engage the pressure - put the fluid back in - was red but a bit "cloudy" - not sure if this means anything - no glitter in it either - although have to whip off the pan to really check if theres bits of metal flapping around.

The sound is best described as something not quite engaging - I will add a youtube clip in a bit.

Does anyone know of any places in the midlands that can look at this, diagnose and fix - its outside of my comfort zone tbh.

Jon
have you got enough oil in the box sounds bit like cavitation

jon3067

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »

Hi DieselJ

Thanks for the reply and to answer your question :

I started with the oil - and it was overfull to be honest - well above the max mark - so I drained out about a litre when I checked the pump was pushing oil to the cooler - it is now in the cross hatched area on the dipstick.

Also - as an update - It is now not engaging the transmission properly when I shift it into gear - it takes  a few seconds and then it will start the noise and the gear will engage.

Jon

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »

try steves autos on sapcote trading estate  and say kev the jeep guy sent you

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

dieselj20

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »

had one with torque converter bolts touching  the alley plate between the engine and bell housing there was corrosion between engine and plate bulged the plate left alloy on toque converter bolts

jon3067

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

Thanks Bubba, DieselJ -and I will call steve tomorrow.

Jon

Obarno

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:09 PM »

Hope you sort your problem but if you want an autobox I have a Torqueflite 727 modified by DieselJ20 to bolt straight into a TJ. It was working fine when removed from my TJ and comes with a torque converter, flex plate, separate oil cooler etc. Let me know if you are interested. It's a slightly larger gearbox so more able to take the strain! Only difference is that it doesn't have torque converter lock up in top gear. I never found that a problem.

The Recovenator

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

check that the transfer box hasnt partly popped out of gear, just a thought

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »

:imwitstupid:

Used to be a favourite prank at the dealership. Stick the transfer cases in neutral and watch the salesmen panic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up