Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carter BBl carb rebuild on a CJ7 - any hints?  (Read 1347 times)

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
Carter BBl carb rebuild on a CJ7 - any hints?
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:45:50 PM »

vThe CJ has got an MOT now but is not running very well at low revs, so decided something needs to be done with the carburettor. Despite talk of fitting a Webber, I have instead bought a rebuild kit from Lighthouse (which seems remarkably comprehensive and good value at £25).
This decision was influenced by a mixture of lack of cash and the recollection that when it was rather newer our 4.2 manual CJ7 seemed quite powerful enough and routinely returned 22 - 24 mpg (UK gallons) in normal driving - which I always thought was OK...
Having got the durn carb thing apart and in bits on the bench, and given some key bits to an acquaintance with an "ultrasonic bath" cleaner to clean up, I have a couple of questions.
First, is there anything I should be particularly careful about? any hidden difficulties I need to know about?

Then, there are a variety of breathers coming off the carb and down to a Carbon canister, and the Carbon canister has seen better days....
Do I need to refurb the canister and replace the pipes? Or...
Can I just blank them off? (I assume not...)
If leaving them open to breathe, do I need to put non return valves in to stop anything nasty going into them? Do I need to worry about petrol leaking out of them if I end up parked at a funny angle (or upside down!) somewhere? What should I be doing?

And another thing.... The bit of metal fuel pipe from the filter to the carb has seen better days, and the nut that fastens it onto the carb (and which also houses the fuel feed cutoff float) is seized on the pipe. Not wanting to risk damaging the pipe without a replacement to hand I just undid the other end from the fuel filter and rotated the whole thing to unscrew it off the carb, but this seems to be an unsatisfactory long term solution... So I was going to make/buy a new bit of metal fuel pipe - A new brass fitting and float came with the kit and the pipe is only about 6 inches long, so what could be so hard? Unfortunately the pipe is some weird American (read "Imperial"?) size and nobody I know has got any right diameter pipe and even if they had they had they have not got the right adapter to flare it properly. Anybody know somebody?

All help welcome. Cheers

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
Re: Carter BBl carb rebuild on a CJ7 - any hints?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »

there are plenty of topics covering the rebuild of the bbl carb, a simple google search will give you the information you require.

i seviced mine but then gave up and bought the webber, occasionally one can be had for the right price of fleabay but make sure its not the chinese copy as they just dont work as well

http://www.walkerproducts.com/_pdf/carter2barrel.pdf
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
Re: Carter BBl carb rebuild on a CJ7 - any hints?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

Job done and running beautifully....

It seemed to have two problems, first was air leaks via moth-eaten gaskets, second that it had only one ball bearing in it, not two. The larger (missing...) ball bearing is supposed to be the "Accelerator pump discharge check ball" - but I am not sure what effect this would be having....

However the kit had two new ball bearings so they are now fitted.

Worth also mentioning that the Lighthouse carb kit came with quite good instructions.

Pages: [1]   Go Up