Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oem jack and wheel brace for cj7  (Read 1717 times)

BIGDRY

oem jack and wheel brace for cj7
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:56:35 PM »

hello all, mines missing and i would like to replace,  is it same as jack that is fitted to a yj? (i assume theres a  wheel brace too or was there originally a separate tool kit?)

thx

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
Re: oem jack and wheel brace for cj7
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:36:46 AM »

Mine came from new with a medium duty scissor jack and a strong, L shaped, wheel brace. Both tied into the floor brackets to the side of the (LHD) drivers seat.

BIGDRY

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »

hi john, thx for info - i thought they were inside engine bay ? - i seem to have a bracket there anyway on uk offside inner wing....

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »

Most LHD CJs have this jack and bracket on the right hand inner fender.....

But my RHD had the battery tray rotated to clear the steering, not leaving room from for the jack, so it was located next to the left hand front seat instead.

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »

Hmmmmm.

I bought my Toledo built LHD 1979 258 manual in Connecticut in May 1980 with 5,000 miles on the clock. so I am pretty sure it was a genuine USA spec of the time, so I don't think the floor bracket can have been a RHD or UK modification. The bracket is welded down and is just a "U" shape with slots in the two sides for a canvas hold down strap. Beyond that I have no idea...

As an aside, I destroyed my jack a few years ago by trying to jack up something that was too heavy for it. Ever since I have been using a wind up screw jack, which doesn't fit in the bracket.... Anybody got suggestions for a good scissor jack replacement?

Also, your photo shows a nice new looking wing bracket - can you still get hold of these? I could do with one for my 304...

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »

I'm thinking maybe later ones had the jack under the hood, but the original bracket remained beside the seat as a legacy thing. Mine was a '78 Toledo built RHD. Don't know if the under hood bracket is available new, but used ones are available on US Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up