Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XJ Budget Boosts  (Read 3269 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
XJ Budget Boosts
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »

I was following another very similar XJ to mine this evening down a really good road with lots of sharp corners and chicanes. He was absolutely flying, and it didn't look like he had much body roll either. I noticed that this particular XJ looked a little bit taller from behind, then I noticed that his rear shackles were visible whereas mine are not.

It's a question I'd delayed asking for as long as possible, but this got me thinking about lift kits. Although the height measurement seems fine, my rear springs are getting quite flat and I seem to be getting more body roll than I used to. Although I currently don't have the money, I therefore would appreciate some advice on lift kits, as I'm fairly clueless as to what's available.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but what I'm after is the following:
  • Something subtle - roughly 2" lift
  • The same, or improved road manners and corner chuckability
  • As cheap as possible
  • Ride as good or better than stock
  • Tires will remain the same (235/75R15)
What lift kits are available, and how much money am I looking at?
I'm aware of spacer and shackle kits, and I'm guessing this is what the XJ I saw today had as his shackles were visible.
I've also seen add-a-leaf kits, but I think my leaves need replacing.

Is it possible to get a combination of the above requirements?

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: XJ Budget Boosts
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »

Stiffer shocks and new leaf springs maybe. Mansfield 4x4 used to do some reasonably priced replacement springs which usually lifted the Jeep 1-3". The old pro comp shocks were cheap and stiff, not very comfortable rude quality but maybe good for chuckability. I'd guess rough country would be pretty close to the pro comp construction. Poly mounts for the front sway bar help too

YT

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »

I seen +3"xj coils on eBay at £119, I didn't go for them as they where on a break for a week, just when I was ready to order. I went with RC coils, and ended up refitting the old coils as I LOST around 1.5" when I fitted the RC +3s. Magnum Automotive quoted £190 for OME leaves,mand did say a lot of the time, when they arrive they come out at £170. If your leaves are starting to go flat, with a set of shackles (1.5-2") they should come up about level with the fronts.
Just another route to think about. :)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:53 AM »

I've known a few people say RC springs are very soft

YT

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »

I've known a few people say RC springs are very soft

TBH the road manners where ok, even with the front sway bar disconnected, but the lost of height was the thing with 31s.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »

Don't think its been mentioned but putting the rear springs from the diesel might be a cheap and effective way to stiffen and lift a couple of inches.
As Phil said rear shackles replacement will help as well. But an extra 2" length shackle will only lift 1" ........and tall shackles get wobbly and look so 80's so a max of 5" eye to eye is really all you want......and is the length supplied by RE and the like. :icon_twisted:

Hillbilly

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
  • Vehicle: 4 litre Grand WJ
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »

Don't think its been mentioned but putting the rear springs from the diesel might be a cheap and effective way to stiffen and lift a couple of inches.
As Phil said rear shackles replacement will help as well. But an extra 2" length shackle will only lift 1" ........and tall shackles get wobbly and look so 80's so a max of 5" eye to eye is really all you want......and is the length supplied by RE and the like. :icon_twisted:

Exactly what I did on the XJ. Originals were flat as feck but after the diesel springs went on it not only gave it a nice lift but the road handling was so much better.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:22 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys - diesel springs might be the way to go. So they'll be 2" taller than stock 4.0 ones? How come diesel ones are so much taller?

What would I then do about the fronts? Would I have to add spacers, or are there matching front springs? Also, will I be able to keep my current shocks?

YT

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »

Also need to remember, extended shackles will muller leaves that have started to flatten very quickly.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:19 PM »

diesel springs are 1" higher than standard plus have a higher spring rate as they were fitted as part of the "country towing" pack. The stiffer springs will also reduce the body roll. rear shackles id say only go to 1.75" as well and that might give another 1".

when ordering the leafs make sure the spring eye bushes are supplied fitted as it can be a pain installing them for the first time
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »

Could anyone point me in the right direction of where to find standard diesel springs?  :003:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »

Crown.....Lighthouse :icon_super:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »

Excellent - any idea on cost?  8-)

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »

lighthouse 110ish PER side but note but you will need to confirm, plus they dont come with bushes fitted and four will be required
Alfa 147 jtdm

Unforgiven

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »

I just picked up a set of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261557277060?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From what I hear, this bloke has good quality springs at good prices. There is a lot of old shite about apparently - even some of the well known brands now get there leaves made in China and they don't last long. Note the above link has the bushes in. Because they're HD, they won't sag as much under the weight of the vehicle, meaning you get an effective lift - a tactic i used on a previous Landy Disco II.

XJ Fan

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: XJ TD
  • Year: 2001
  • nulla tenaci invia est via
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »

Would it work if I got the rear springs from the post above, and a set of lifted springs for the front? Or would I also have to replace the shocks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'94 mk1 XJ 2.5 TD (dead)
'01 mk2 XJ 2.5 TD (my daily drive)
'97 ZJ 4.0 limited (dead)

YT

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »

I ran my 3" lift on standard shocks for a couple of years, you can drop the front flexi hose mounts to allow for the lift. The dampers are ok as long as your not expecting a lot of flex, and you don't mind a solid clunk for the rear dampers over potholes when the reach full extension.

eastryjeep

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »

Some bods even put straps on to prevent over extending the springs and shocks.

Green Jeep

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 09:20:09 AM »

IMHO do not fit add a leafs, they are really stiff and cause the remaining leafs to go south quicker than they would and the ride on one I had was proper horrid.

Jones springs in the midlands have just repaired and rebuilt my rubicon express leaf 3" springs for just £70 & vat each, excellent service from them, 24hr turn around.

If your not fitting bigger tyres I would stay with stock height and just get rear springs smiling and not frowning...

Remove rear anti roll bar if you haven't already? Can't remember as long time since I was under your XJ...

Throttle body spacer and large cone air filter will help with throttle response and poss bit more power...

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 12:24:17 PM »

Cool, cheers for the advice. It might be a while now before I get to  give the suspension any attention, but I plan on sticking around stock height - the most I would lift it would be 2". Do the stock shocks have enough extension to flex with a 2" lift?

Yup, Maf, you've already had my anti-roll bar off. It did make a good difference off-road. When my springs were in good shape it made absolutely zero difference on-road either, but now that they're getting weak it's slightly noticeable, not that it bothers me.

I could do to improve performance - I noticed the other day whilst chasing a big diesel Beemer up a hill that it's feeling slightly down on power. It didn't really want to go above 70, then couldn't even hold that speed, when I know it can usually get 85 up there. I'm guessing my air filter probably needs replacing - it definitely has visible mud on it.

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »

I could do to improve performance - I noticed the other day whilst chasing a big diesel Beemer up a hill that it's feeling slightly down on power. It didn't really want to go above 70, then couldn't even hold that speed, when I know it can usually get 85 up there. I'm guessing my air filter probably needs replacing - it definitely has visible mud on it.

plus its a bl@@dy jeep not a sports cruiser car, be-ms are designed to cruise in excess of a ton, an old 4ltr isnt, plus the shape doesn't help
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »

Oh I know that, it's more just that this highlighted the fact that it's not performing as well as it has in the past.
Besides, I like the fact that I drive an off-road capable vehicle that's still reasonably quick and competent on-road. If I wanted off-road without speed on-road I'd buy a Lawn Rover  :icon_winkle:
Pages: [1]   Go Up