Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZJ Wheel Bearing Confusion  (Read 2158 times)

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
ZJ Wheel Bearing Confusion
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »

I'm a little confused by the ZJ at the moment.

There's a loud grumbling noise that starts at about 40mph and is directly proportional to vehicle speed. It seems most audible at about 55mph before other noises get much louder (wind!). It's almost definitely from the front end and can be felt through the floorboards.
If I turn at speed to the left, the noise almost completely goes away, whilst it gets worse if I turn to the right.

With these symptoms it seemed pretty obvious to me that it must be the front left wheel bearing. I've replaced it today with a brand new Timken one, and after getting the old one off I could confirm that it did have play in it.
However the noise hasn't in any way gone away, and the symptoms are still exactly the same (louder when turning right, quieter to the left).  :017: :017:

Surely getting louder when I turn right must be the left bearing, as that would put much more weight on it.
Is there anything else that these symptoms could suggest that I could be missing?

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
Re: ZJ Wheel Bearing Confusion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »

what condition are your cv joints no is there any play in them

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »

Funny you should say that - the front right CV joint has recently started clicking, but only when I pull out of the driveway (sharp right hand turn, up steep hill). Do you think that could show similar symptoms?

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

It could give you that noise.

But you can also have both front wheel bearings go at the same time - so check the other as well
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »

I had kind of assumed that the other wheel bearing was going bad - they are both seemingly original (now on 139,000 miles) and the noise has been getting worse for quite some time. I just struggle to see how putting weight on the front right bearing would make the noise quieter - this is what's confusing me!

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »

the weight is pushing the bearing together so it runs true. would me my guess

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 10:41:22 AM »

That sounds possible. What's the best way to diagnose a bad wheel bearing? I jacked up the whole front end yesterday and was struggling to find play in either side, yet when I got the one that I replaced completely off I could feel play in my hands.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »

As I hoped, you guys were right. New wheel bearing on, and according to Emily the Jeep is transformed (I've not driven it yet).

I was out of time so she got it done elsewhere - apparently the bearing that came off was in a worrying state once they got it off! :icon_eek:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »

well at least you had a bearing to take off, when there is no bearing only races then thats when you breathe a sigh of relief
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm
Pages: [1]   Go Up