Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 1 in 52 handbrake  (Read 3178 times)

Dtimot8

The 1 in 52 handbrake
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »

Hi Chaps its that time of year again when the handbrake is supposed to hit 16%
we've just fitted 2 different sets of shoes into the disc brake conversion
both are how shall i say sheit
actually on a tangent when i say we i actually mean my good mate Martin who undertakes spanner matters as I'm not capable
the brake did work, sort of, with the old shoes but is now awful
i looked on the inter web and the theme seems to be the lever and cam thingy
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Ta ever so

Dave The Sparky

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 4
Re: The 1 in 52 handbrake
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:18:16 PM »

No idea on TJ brakes and it may make no difference but wont new shoes need bedding in? not sure how you can do that though on a handbrake setup without using handbrake whilst moving......

or you could put some tiny wheels and tyros on especially for the MOT so its not working so hard (but post pics if you do) :003:
3.0TD (proper fuel) Toyota powered CJ6, 1981 4.2L "Montana" blue CJ8,1982 "Cack" Brown CJ8 slowly getting a Chevy V6 and a lot of welding...

The Smiths

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 09:55:57 PM »

if struggling on efficiency then scour the surfaces of the shoes and drum section with some emery paper - will give a very short term increase 
If you always do what you have always done You will always get what you have always got
Please give to our Mac4x4 fund: http://www.justgiving.com/The-Smiths-2015

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »

I have heard of the following being used:

- Ford Transit (I used these but not with Jeep discs)
- Astra
- VW various golf, Passat etc, all the same

Maybe more but G&T has been consumed

I'm interested if you find something that works with the ZJ / Ford Explorer type discs

Ezz

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: TJ
  • Year: 1997
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »

I've got passat calipars in mine, handbrake shares the foot brake pads,

No help to you tho Tim...
2009 JK Rubicon now sold
1997 TJ wrangler 4.0, jk rubicon 5.38 geared  axles, 38.5 mud treps,  101" wheelbase

Delk

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

If you have an older Tj with rear drums they should work fine.

I did the standard rear disc conversion on my Tj so it had the little inner shoes for the hand brake. It never worked from day one and was a complete pile. Eventually changed to Transit callipers with the integrated hand brake and it works great. Good luck with the standard one.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:29:18 AM »

Delk - is yours Transit calipers on the Grand Cherokee / Ford Explorer type discs? The Transit calipers were bloody good on my XJ - three clicks of the handrake lever and it was locked, maybe four clicks for a slope, very un-Jeep like.

Delk

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »

I drilled some Land Rover front discs out since they had the correct size disc on them. Easy and cheap since I had access to the tools.

Dtimot8

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:47 PM »

I have to admit i had started to look at disc style handbrake
now
James did you use the explorer discs and the transit handbrake (with a fabbed bracket) or was it all custom
delk I am not mr tech so be gentle - so d44 shaft redrllled l/rover brake disc then transit handbrake on a fabbed bracket

I am going to try and make this work for MOT due 2/9 then go for something like this

ta ever so chaps

dtooth

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »

I run rover 820 rear calipers on a zj disc custom bracket on Dana 44 axle

Arno

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:03 PM »

Im also looking into converting rear to discs on my TJ.. lot of diff reviews.

Ideally i like the handbrake to not use shoes, but pads, is any such conversion available, or is it a complete custom set-up??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Delk

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »

Mine took a good amount of work but I have everything at home except for a lathe.

Firstly I have a D44 rear but am running larger axle shafts with 5x5.5 inch bolt pattern like an old CJ. I did that to match my D44 front out of an old Ford truck. 

For the discs I drilled a 5x5.5 inch bolt pattern between the land rover pattern. If I am correct I also went with the LR disc because the thickness matched what I need for the calliper. I spent a good amount of time online comparing discs to ensure the top hand, diameter and thickness were what I needed.

Then I am not sure if the outer shaft flange is slightly larger then a stock one but it would not fit inside the land rover discs. The clearance was really close and I had the choice to machine the flange down or open up the inside of the disc. The top hat on the disc is super thick and it was easier for me to open this up in a lathe then machine the flange. I took maybe half or one mm of material out of the inside of the top hat so it would fit down flush on the shaft. Stock axle shafts with the 5x5 Tj bolt pattern may not have this problem.

I made a custom bracket that I welded to the axle for the calliper. It was easier for me to do this then one that was held on by the bearing retaining bolts.

With the disc and calliper in place I needed new flex hoses. I think I sorted these on Ebay and managed to find ones with ends that would match the Jeep and calliper but I don't remember. I may have made up new hard lines with a different outer end.

Then if you are going away from drums you will also need new hand brake cables. The drum ones have a ball on the end and ones for discs have a type of loop. I had Teraflex cables with the loop for the shoe type disc brake but they were in pretty poor shape. Managed to sort some XJ ones or something by matching lengths. Looked online or Rockauto and found the lengths listed and measured mine up. Far cheaper and managed to even get a few helpful extra inches.

The attached picture is not great but you can see the arm for the hand brake cable. It gets pulled forward by the cable and compresses the normal pads.

Had my Mot today and the brakes passed without question. I have not touched the hand brake at all in along time. And considering the amount of mud and abuse it gets that's not bad.

The Mot man was one I have not seen before and he didn't like the Jeep and did fail it. Front wheel bearing slightly loose on one side and a rust hole in the body tub near the seat belt mounting that is no longer a seat belt mounting. Wheel bearing adjusted quick enough and the body tub welded up tonight even though it doesn't matter. I have a full cage that mounts to the frame. The belts and seats all mount to the cage. Just forward of the little hole are big holes where the cage goes through the tub so it was pointless arguing with a clown.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »

Mine was LR disc (discovery front disc I think), re drilled to 5 on 4.5 but this was only just possible due to large opening on the disc. This also meant there was a gap around the axle shaft flange and the disc which wasn't ideal for centring. The transit caliper was mounted on a custom bracket  welded to the axle tube and my handbrake cables were fine but that was on a XJ - I just looped them around the caliper lever and used a wire rope clamp on them (MOT) man was fine with this even though it looked a bit temporary.

I think there is a better solution but the big upside for me was having big calipers designed for heavy vehicles and the road braking and handbraking was noticeably better.

I'm going to try and go for some kind of lever caliper conversion on the disc setup I currently have (Ford Explorer style) but probably not quick enough for your MOT as my handbrake actually works at the moment!

Dtimot8

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:20 PM »

I am truly grateful
so i am going to see if we can get through mot with current set up
then i d=shall talk to Mr Sunderland about transit callipers on teraflex kit
may be chatting rubbish (usually do and end up giving Mr S a headache)
we shall see

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 06:04:32 PM »

Or.......
E brake disc that is attached to SYE and has small run of cable to between seats  that operate caliper.....

Kits available in US but I am sure easy to fabricate......

Plus you will have multiplication factor of your diff ratio for extra stoppage......oh yeah :icon_super:

Delk

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 08:28:21 PM »

I looked at going with one on the back of the T case but the cost went out of sight really quickly. I could have fabricated everything but the mounting to the driveshaft. Since I didn't have a flanged output I needed to change that and the rear drive shaft to match.

I already have an early SYE kit with a large shaft and all the bits. If I didn't and was going to do one now I would go with a flanged output and a matching drive shaft. Would have made life a lot easier.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »

The transit calipers have pads too deep / tall for the teraflex / ZJ / Explorer discs iirc

But there are plenty of other calipers that mr Sunderland could get to work I'm sure  :icon_winkle:

donk498

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 08:52:22 PM »

My Xj s running audi /Citroen/vag rear calipers on zj discs. On custom brackets. They work but I would prefer bigger calipers. Have not put it on brake rollers though.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:29 PM »

I know it's slightly different but 'the 1tonne' has would you believe it 1 ton brakes on the front and 3/4 ton fronts on the rear (discs).     On a vehicle so light compared to a full fat US truck it stops frightening quickly on40's.

There are many disc kits for Dana 60's. And 44's that could get you a good stoppage at the rear.
Or do the double up at the rear for the mot man....dedicated calipers for the handbrake :icon_twisted:

Dtimot8

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »

We took 'em apart for the third time today (did you notice the "we" - i actually got my hand dirty !!!)
the old shoes and set up worked well before they wore out - my fault for leaving h/brake on when driving off road
we checked everything and all functioning as should
the one thing we did notice was - when you offered up the shoes to the "drum" they didn't fit perfectly
held tight on one end of the shoes there was a1 or 2 mm gap at tother end
is that normal
my simple brain solution is to use tomorrows event to drive slowly with the hand brake on to match crappy shoe and drum
making sure nothing gets to hot and knackers the bearings
as truck has to be ready for J33P's trip to sunny wales in oct

thanks for all info will keep pondering
Pages: [1]   Go Up