Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arch Trimming.  (Read 1291 times)

jay140285

Arch Trimming.
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »

Morning,

Right, the ZJ.

When off roading with the ARB’s disconnected I keep catching the arches and bending them. So as well as taking chunks out the tyres I have to hammer the arch lip back up.

I have got some YJ plastic arches from Tris coming and my plan was to trim the ZJ arches back to give more clearance under full articulation and fit the plastic arches trims to give a better look.

So any advice, Do’s and don’ts to cutting I get the measure twice, make a pattern and cut once.

How far up can I cut and so forth, Best way to secure the plastic arches?

Cheers

J.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Arch Trimming.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »

Take the current arches off, I'm not sure how they are held on a ZJ but there's likely to be some brackets that need drilling / cutting to remove. The YJ arches are made to fit a flat body panel and the ZJ is all curved like and XJ, maybe worse. I would suggest putting loads of masking tape on the wing and then using some clamps like welding clamps, woodworking clamps etc to test fit them a few time until you are happy, then mark the masking tape as a guide for cutting. You might need to cut the mounting surface of the YJ flares to get them to fit too.

When putting TJ arches on my XJ I went for as much clearance as possible while trying to make sure it followed the vehicle lines at least slightly.

To fit I used rubber bungs with threaded inserts, can't remember their proper name. It required drilling 13mm holes and then using M6 set screws and washers to fix, but give some 'give' to the fixing if that's something you want. You might need to strip out the inner arch liners to help with this if you have them still.

j33pky

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »

There's no plastic arches on a zj is there? It's all wing (metal) or it is on mine anyway! 

jay140285

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »

Cheers James,

No there are no plastic arches currently on the ZJ just metal. See pic (ignore the flat tyre but you can see the bent arch lip)

would you say to completely cut out the curved metal arch leaving more clearance and a flat surface or would that be to much?

Looking at it, 1/2 way up the lip would be ideal of the YJ arches can be made to fit

j33pky

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »

Why the Yj arches? 

jay140285

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

Because Tris has some and the price was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay140285

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »

Should be easy to adapt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up