Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners winch question..  (Read 1681 times)

BIGDRY

Beginners winch question..
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »

Hello all, i know im getting ahead of myself as the jeep is still in the workshop pending repairs but in anticipation of proper use off road this year  - question is do i need a winch?

i have a stock cj7 and only intend to use on mild offroading stuff, but i do have access to go to my family home with it in italy in the hill of northern italy and there are lots of trails there to explore - i'll probably be breaking the cardinal sin of going offroad with only the one other person  in the jeep for company and no other vehicles and so i thought maybe its a good idea to have a winch! i now it sounds all newby and dangerous but im not totally stupid, i wont be attempting anything mental and most of these trails are used by tractors and farmers (my uncle uses them in his mitsubishi l200 even in snow with chains and proper tyres....)  trouble is i now naff all about winches!

any thoughts appreciated.

Graham

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 0
Re: Beginners winch question..
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »

If it helps, I have had 2 winches in the past and never used either.

I do however have a hi lift with the winch accessories pack. Hi lifts can be dangerous but if used with respect, can be a great tool.

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »

A winch is a great reassurance but you should have some practice using one rather than just bolt it on and then learning when you are stuck somewhere. I get nervous wheeling without a winch.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »

Agree with all that the chaps have said above, you will need a 9000lb winch to be safe, 12000lb not necessary for a CJ, 9000lb on our TJ is fine.

Buy the best quality one you can afford, be it 2nd or new, you need to be able to rely on it when needed.
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:42:32 PM »

A winch is useful to have.
But unless your going winch challenge  eventing both wast your money on a Warn or any of the stupid money speed winch jobs.
Also a winch is only any good if you have something to  attach it to so have a mate with a jeep and a tow strap will get you out of most problems.
There only as good as how well there bolted to your jeep  !!!!
HIlift's are great to have

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

Try offroading with your mates without a winch....if after a year you have managed without then you really saved some coin.....

Winches only come into play if you are by yourself......never truly a great idea! Most of the time with experience you will look at a situation and say.......if I go there I will get stuck and need a winch( or mates) to haul me out....

I now have a winch front and back but always try to avoid having to use them.....most times over the last 5 years they have been used to help others.....but then that's a whole different ball game...

5536paulj

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »

Make sure if you get one, to get one with rope, not wire!

bigjeepzj

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 22
  • lift it, brake it, Fix it brake it, fix it again
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »

:iagree: forgot to say that
I also agree with Wild-wood. a winch is a last resort

bonza

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »

I have a Warn 8,000LB M8 winch bolted to a winch plate I fabricated myself that is in turn bolted to the front bumper on my TJ

I have used it numerous times over the past 12 years when stuck in mud holes, or steep rutted tracks, etc when out on my gold prospecting journeys. and because I'm usually by myself in isolated areas many miles from the nearest home or help have found it essential

I did once have one issue with it. one of the solenoids was burnt out and the winch wouldn't wind back up. naturally I found that out when it was required so had to reverse the wires to get out of trouble
that has been the second time a Warn solenoid has packed up on me. I have been advised to upgrade to an Albright solenoids as they have a good reputaion

would much prefer a winch mounted to the front than a high lift jack any day

and have rope rather than wire, having had both rope is much better

BIGDRY

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:21:59 PM »

thanks for the info dudes. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up