Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firing up '03 TJ Tips  (Read 2249 times)

neilh

Firing up '03 TJ Tips
« on: September 06, 2017, 11:15:50 AM »

I'm after some tips Berties - after a longer than expected period we're finally getting close to being able to fire up the TJ again after much fettling and tinkering. Trouble is she's been sat for a couple of years now  :icon_rolleyes:

So - I could do with some recommendations in terms of steps to take before starting her up again. I'm guessing that while I could just stick the battery back in and try the key there may be a better/safer approach? :)

There's no coolant in at the moment as the radiator's been off so I'm wondering about just running water through initially to flush it through  :100:

...and to think it only needed a couple of minor tweaks when we got it  :hysterical:

originalracingsnake

Re: Firing up '03 TJ Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »

If it has been sitting that long, I'd flush the block out and the rad. Check oil levels, a squirt of WD40 down each plug hole. Whilst the plugs are out, turn it over by hand to ensure the rings are not binding in the bores. Then spin it over on the starter without the plugs in. If it spins round nice and quick and pressure show on the oil gauge, then refit plugs. Drain the fuel tank. Replace fuel filter. Fill with 2 gallons of fresh fuel, and start it up!

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:35:08 PM »

All good info there  :icon_super:
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

neilh

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »

Cool thanks - I did wonder about draining the fuel...

thorna

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »

Don't know about an '03 but earlier ones will loose their 'idle memory' when left with a flat or disconnected battery. They'll fire but not run; hold the gas on for a few minutes on a fast idle and the ECU will relearn.

neilh

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »

Don't know about an '03 but earlier ones will loose their 'idle memory' when left with a flat or disconnected battery. They'll fire but not run; hold the gas on for a few minutes on a fast idle and the ECU will relearn.

Thanks for that gem - that may save a panic later!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

The idle air control valve got stuck on my XJ 4.0 when it had been sat for a few months, causing it to idle very high. A quick tap with a hammer soon unstuck it  :003:

neilh

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:48:09 AM »

...well it took a little longer than planned to get to it but finally had some time over the last couple of weeks to try to get her going. Cranked over by hand great so huge relief it hadn't seized  :icon_super:

Fresh oil, fresh plugs, hit the key... and nothing but lights and chimes  :banghead:

Spent this weekend working back through the wiring checking everything - which included finding out the immobiliser line from the alarm isn't actually connected to anything  :lol_hitting:

Finally got back as far as the ignition switch and could get the starter to fire from the clutch pedal switch but not from the ignition switch connector. A bit of poking around and found the start signal wire from the switch has been cut and two black wires spliced in that go off somewhere behind the dash. No idea what they go to but it's clearly aftermarket. I'm guessing it could be an immobiliser of some sort - but for now it's bypassed and she finally starts on the key  :icon_super: :jump_125: :steeringwheel:

Still need to source a replacement clockspring but it feels great to be finally making some progress!

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

...well it took a little longer than planned ...

Nice to hear about your success!

(Amazing how long these things take, isn't it... :icon_winkle: [size=78%])[/size]

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 04:17:09 PM »

Thanks for posting details of the struggle to get it right...I would wager that there are folk on here who have found it helpful...and others who will, sometime in the future.   :icon_super: :icon_super:

neilh

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »

Thanks folks - I have to say sticking a socket on the crank and feeling it turn fine was a massive relief. Short lived though when turning the key then produced absolutely nothing!

My PowerProbe was a saviour though - starting with providing power to the starter solenoid and hearing the starter spin at least told me the starter was fine and once we got power that far we should at least have it cranking. It was then a case of working backwards with the probe and giving it a burst of 12v to simulate turning the key until I got to the point where the starter no longer kicked in.

Given how other things have gone on this "little" tidy up I'm amazed I didn't find something that needed replacing  :hysterical:
Pages: [1]   Go Up