Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D20 issues  (Read 1464 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
D20 issues
« on: April 15, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »

Guys, had a great days 4wding today ive noticed a noise coming from what i believe to be the transfer case. In 4wd low you get the straight cut whine but there's another noise as well, in 2wd there is a real grumble when you come off the power. Incidentally the speedo stopped working at the same time. Anyone have any thoughts. Sorry my description is probably not the best

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
Re: D20 issues
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »

strip it i think you will find a bearing breaking up

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »

What are they like to work on?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »

I think my clutch release bearing is on it's way also so I may as well drop the box in one complete go. Question is I have the option of a free t18/d20 combo from a 6 cyl j20. I can take the hole unit including bellhousing etc. With my setup in the CJ6 being more roomy than most I think the swap might be ok to do and should not need a shorter input shaft as it's from the 6 cyl so should have a shorter input shaft and bellhousing already. Obviously if need to change props and maybe cross member location. Currently I have a t150/d20 combo. What's everyones thoughts, stick with current setup and rebuild d20 or replace with the t18.

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »

I may be wrong and this might just be V8 take outs but the T18 in a FSJ has a longer bell housing and 1st  shaft due to needing to get the gearstick to you under the extra length of the FSJ dash....

Easy to fix just need parts and ££ or $$

Go for it .....amazing crawler first gear. Will make street driving a three gear operation though...

Oops....just read you have these parts......go for it!

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:55:26 PM »

All the info I've read suggests that the t18 being a J20 I6 engine only has a 1" spacer between a standard AMC bellhousing and the transmission and then another 1" spacer between the trans and transfer. If this is correct the trans should not be greatly out of place to what I have. A few tweaks here/there should solve it. I will need to change prop shaft lengths though as the trans is longer due to the 4th gear. Seems the biggest issue is muscling it into position due to its weight :098: I will let you know how I get on.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »

will work well i reckon

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »

What clutch kit are you guys using on your CJs and where are you getting it from

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »

Four wheel drive hardware

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

Pages: [1]   Go Up