Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand cherokee 2.7crd injector removal advice  (Read 25526 times)

Jeepinsane

Grand cherokee 2.7crd injector removal advice
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:46:15 AM »

Hi all
Could someone talk me through removing and replacing an injector on a Grand cherokee 2.7crd?
Looks like the front injector has unseated. :-(
Taken many things off an engine before but never an injector.
Thanks and praise be to all who have gone before me

eastryjeep

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »

Ah ..... The Devils fuel  :lol:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »

i think this is the bastard that normaly siezes in to the head is it not

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Mike Pavelin

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »

No, that's the KJ VM Motori one. This is a Mercedes engine.

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:54:40 PM »

mercedes sure like there dealer tools

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

Jeepinsane

Aw threw in the towel
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »

Aw threw in the towel and got someone else to take it out
See a special merc hammer on ebay for the job but it would be just my luck to leave half of it in there.

V8 Bubba
Naw this must be the bastard that normaly pops out of the head on its own.
25 years drivin oilers and this is the first injector I ever seen lifted.

So anyone know where I could get a cheep engine../only kiddin..I hope

Do these seals give many problems  :?:
or do you just tighten them down till they squeel?

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:15 PM »

over 25 years in the motor trade you would be shocked what i have seen over the years :shock:

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

sparkyboy

Re: Grand cherokee 2.7crd injector removal advice
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »

OK update on this for you guys

Dec 2010 i bought my first GC 2.7crd found black death after first week and got dealer to refund £400 to sort problem which after some research i found  is caused by leaky injector seals,The truck started and ran fine so i left it as story's of fixing the problem scared me a bit, I know dumb  :wsmile:

3 weeks ago while over taking on the motorway she cuts out, i pull over restart and set off fine overtaking again she cuts out again, i decided to turn back for home and finally fix injector seals

Pop to merc on Saturday and by 10 Cooper injector washers and 10 injector stretch bolt cost under £20

Sunday start the job, internet guide says Remove engine mounts and lower gearbox to gain enough access to injector 4 & 5

What it doesn't tell you is drivers side mount bolt is facing the cat so you have to lower the cat down to enable you to get the bolt out,
so 3 hours of wiggling and prying the engine is lowered

1 day of chipping cleaning and sucking with the hoover i can see the injector bolts
with a bit of WD40 and some grips i manage to free all five injectors taking care not to drop anything into the holes
metal coat hanger with a small hook on the end gets the old seals out no problem

after closer inspection no.5 injector has a split up the side, so i guessed this would cause the drop in fuel pressure and the engine to cut out
Order replacement from eBay £75

Wednesday injector arrives , its time to put the beast back together

I used the wet & dry paper on a 1/2 inch extention bar trick to clean the seats in the block and use my phone camera to inspect the results
a piece of hose pipe taped to the hoover is a perfect fit and idea way to keep the injector hole clean

I use a small blob of grease to hold the copper washer onto the injector when inserting it back into the hole (Now here is where thing started to go wrong)
apon tightening injector 5 down the bolt pops back up, turns out some carb cleaner in the bottom of the hole and caused hydraulic pressure and made the bolt strip its tread

i run a tap down the hole and all feels good, the other  4 injectors go in fine and after a few cranks to get fuel up she fires into life (and sounds sweet)

I used her for work and did 300 mile trip with no problems and my motorway MPG went from 25.5 to 40.1

Last Wednesday on the way to the cinema number 5  injector strips its thread and is pushed out of the block and into the gutter panel snapping off the fuel return T-piece, get recovered home.

Turns out Stripped injector theads on the ml270 is common and after some reseach i decide to try the helicoil route

So Saturday i get a m6 x1.0 helicoil kit. Engine and gearbox lower takes 20Min's due to the use of engine crane and the fact i put the cat side engine mount bolt in the other way round

I took my time with the drilling and taping making sure to not to drop anything into the injector hole & the tape is kept clean and lubricated, the helicoil went in sweet and so did the new copper washer,injector and bolt (you were asking why i bought 10) and in hindsight this time the bolt felt alot more solid.

I'm pleased to report 3 Days in and 2 motorway runs she is all good

Hope this helps

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »

Excellent. Keep us updated on progress as this is one of those faults that puts me off getting a 2.7CRD, despite them being nice vehicles. If this is the fix and costs then I'd have no problem taking a chance on it.

sparkyboy

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »

Did a bit of off roading last night with my new Insa Dakar Turbo's tyres happy to report plenty of power (way more than before)
and engine under heavy load at times, no leaks or problems touch wood.
my only gripe is these Dakar's are noisy on the road, oh well

sparkyboy

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

Update

Just got back from a week long trip upto Staffordshire, No problems injectors all fine

also happy to report i got 550 miles to a tank of fuel even on these Dakar Turbo's that seemed to have killed my MPG

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »

happy to report i got 550 miles to a tank of fuel

That's impressive by any standard.  What motorway speeds were you running at ?

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

sparkyboy

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »

happy to report i got 550 miles to a tank of fuel

That's impressive by any standard.  What motorway speeds were you running at ?

Between 70 & 75mph using cruise control , that was from empty to empty £101 worth i am very impressed considering i was getting 350 miles to a tank when the seals were leaking

daved

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:04:01 PM »

Excellent info from sparky.

I had 1&2 leak on me. A couple of sellers on fleabay (i'll see if i can find the very efficient one i bought from ) will sell you a big pot of the white grease with a set of genuine bolts and seals for around £17. The failure is entirely down to the little dinky copper washer.

They really are easy to do  :icon_super: 4&5 are the gits

Techandy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »

I found following advice that holes cut in metal work for 4 an 5 cylinders is best way to go remember to paint edges and use grommits to fill holes after. as for keeping bolt holes clean a cheap and easy trick is to but pipe cleaners twist 2 or 3 together depending on their bulk clean all around injector thoroughly when you remove stretch bolt twist pipe cleaners into bolt hole before removing clamp and injector this will stop dirt getting into the hole and also absorbs any fluid that may be in there apart from hole cutting for 4 and 5 this makes after cleaning surfaces a quick and effective way to change without bolt problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up