Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ignition issues and Coolant leaking HELP!  (Read 1476 times)

Clodey

Ignition issues and Coolant leaking HELP!
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »

This is my first time on here so a big hello to everyone.
I've got a really nice Cherokee XJ 2.5TDi Limited 4x4 on a 98 plate, drives lovely, all electrics work, 4x4 is great, so a fairly happy XJ owner. Recently had a coolant issue, the low coolant indicator came on last week, so I topped up the coolant and carried on. All was fine until I parked up two days ago and the jeep was leaking coolant onto the road. Checked from the topside and couldn't find the source, got under the jeep and still couldn't find the source. The coolant was running down to where the oil sump plug is and dripping from there. Looks like it's coming from the back of the engine somewhere. Its not a radiator leak as the rad is full of coolant. Had a look on the forum for any threads but couldn't find one with the same issue, so apologies if i've missed a thread on hear. Any help would be appreciated.
I've also got an issue with the ignition. Foot on clutch and turn the key, sometimes it turns over other times nothing happens, or other times I'll keep the key in start position and it turns over after a little wiggling of the key, if feels quite random. Do I need a new ignition or is it something else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Clodey 

General Confusion

• Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 2
  • Vehicle: Now Jeep-less
  • Buckle Up!!!!!..........I want to try something.
Re: Ignition issues and Coolant leaking HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »

I believe there is a core plug on the back of the engine, which seems to be a fairly frequent problem
Too Old to Die Young!!!!

LairdScooby

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »

Can't really help on the coolant side as i've never had a diseasel version but have heard those VM engines are quite prone to leaking core plugs so Steve is probably right with his suggestion.

As for the ignition, what do the warning lights do when you turn the key and nothing happens? If they dim then there's a fair chance of a bad earth somewhere or a poor battery connection. If they stay the same brightness (or only dim slightly) there's a chance the brushes in the starter are worn and sticking so not making proper contact with the commutator. This will stop the solenoid pulling in and powering up the actual starter motor. It could also be bad connections on the starter - all worth checking before condemning the ignition switch.

It could also be the coolant leaking from the back of the engine has run over the starter motor and corroded the connectors on it which again would cause a bad connection.

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:41:56 PM »

My mum recently had the key problem with her 2005 TJ (similar set up I believe), and I believe replacing part of the ignition resolved it - I'm afraid I can't be more specific than that without asking her
Pages: [1]   Go Up