Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '01 Grand Cherokee dash bulb  (Read 3829 times)

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
'01 Grand Cherokee dash bulb
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »

So, last week the bulb that illuminates the fuel gauge went out. According to both my manual and wjjeeps.com this should be a “103” bulb but I’m having a hard time finding one in the UK and my local motor factor looked at me like I was an alien when I asked them. In desperation I even rang my local stealer who told me there are 2 bulb types, as per my manual and wjjeeps.com, but their system only listed 1 type as available and they didn’t know which it would be!
Has anyone replaced these bulbs before? Any ideas where I could get them from or whether they have a different number in the civilised world?

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: '01 Grand Cherokee dash bulb
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »

103 is a dealer only bulb number. That's for the bulb only. In the parts lists, the two bulb sizes listed are including the holders, and are PC74 and PC121. If you were to remove your cluster and check you could compare to the holder pics you'd find if you search those numbers.

The bulb itself is a 5mm wedge bulb, replaceable with a T5 or 286 bulb number. I don't know what wattage the OEM bulbs are but you can get bulbs from around 1.2 to 2.4 watts. They would obviously be differing and brightness and the OEM bulbs may even have a little rubber cover over them to whiten the yellowish light the bulb gives off. I think mine did. I switched to LED bulbs which don't dim like normal bulbs.

Here's some 1.2W bulbs on ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-286-INDICATOR-DASH-CAR-AUTO-LIGHT-T5-BULB-BULBS-12V-1-2W-CAPLESS-WEDGE-/360683894261?hash=item53fa6f75f5:g:Z0cAAOSwMORW78wY

and some 2.3W...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Pair-Lucas-LLB284-12V-2-3W-W2X4-6D-T5-Dash-Bulb-Car-Indicator-Panel-284-/182420345317?hash=item2a791991e5:g:zSQAAOSwUKxYeKhN

You could also try Halfords or car shops as they may have them in packs or even individually in smaller shops.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »

Thanks Jonny, the PC121 makes more sense as the dealer part number listed on WJJeeps has this in (with a few zeros). A quick google search suggests that the PC121 is 3 watts but no T5 seems to go that high. I was hoping to avoid pulling the cluster out twice but it looks lime I'll need to match the bulbs up. I think I'll replace them all while it's out and hopefully it won't have to come back out again for years.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 11:07:13 AM »

Lucas number for 3W is LLB1018 but they seem to be out of stock at every link.
2.3W number is LLB284. Found these Ring 284 bulbs 10 for £12 posted...
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/r284-12v-w23w-indicator-panel-c-1023-p-1-pr-17304.html

bit more on ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-2-3W-Panel-Bulbs-1-Filament-284-Trade-pack-x10-R284-Ring-Quality-New-New-/231726591378?hash=item35f3fb2d92:g:Yk8AAOSwuAVWuhW-

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »

I've been a bit busy with jobs on the house, especially as I'm driving in the dark less, but I just had a thought. Should the green illumination of the dials dim and brighten with the roller switch on the left stalk? At the moment only the odometer does within the cluster and I think the EVIC, AZC and stereo as well.

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31:06 PM »

I don't know if the normal illumination colour is green but if the cluster bulbs have been replaced with LED versions by a previous owner that could explain them not dimming. LEDs dim but only slightly.

FSM states...

CLUSTER ILLUMINATION

The EMIC has several illumination lamps that are illuminated whenever the exterior lighting is turned
On. The illumination intensity of these bulbs and of the vacuum-fluorescent electronic display are controlled
by the instrument cluster microprocessor based upon dimming messages received from the
Body Control Module (BCM) over the PCI data bus.

The BCM uses inputs from the headlamp and panel dimmer switches on the left (lighting) multi-function
switch control stalk and internal programming to decide what dimming message is required. The BCM
then sends the proper dimming messages to the EMIC over the PCI data bus. The illumination lamps
receive battery current through the EMIC electronic circuit board, and are grounded at all times. The
BCM also has several hard wired panel lamp driver outputs and sends the proper panel lamps dimming
level messages over the PCI data bus to coordinate the illumination intensity of all of the instrument
panel lighting and the vacuum fluorescent displays of other electronic modules on the PCI data bus. Vehicles
equipped with the Auto Headlamps option have an automatic parade mode. In this mode, the BCM
uses an input from the auto headlamp light sensor to determine the ambient light levels. If the BCM
decides that the exterior lighting is turned on in the daylight, it overrides the selected panel dimmer
switch signal by sending a message over the PCI data bus to illuminate all vacuum fluorescent displays
at full brightness for easier visibility in daytime light levels. The automatic parade mode has no
effect on the incandescent bulb illumination intensity.

Proper testing of the cluster illumination lamps, the VFD dimming level, the BCM, and the PCI data
bus dimming level messages requires the use of a DRBIII scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic
information. Each of the cluster illumination lamps is located on the instrument cluster circuit
board. Each cluster illumination lamp has a replaceable bulb and bulb holder.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »

I definitely think there's something odd as none of the dial illuminating bulbs brighten with the rest of the cluster. In fact, while they're OK at night on maximum I've always found them too dim on dull winter days or at the start of dusk. I think I'll get enough to replace them all and I'll be able to do that when I get round to pulling the cluster out.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »

Do you have access to a DRB111 diagnostic scanner...? Tends to remove the guesswork.

Just a thought.

Andyp

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »

No easy (read free) access to DRBIII but was checked when the blend doors were done in January, at 4play, and no errors found. I'd say they've been dim since I got it it 18 months ago. My thinking is that I've got a blown bulb anyway so may as well replace all of them while the cluster is out.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Fair enough mate...I went through this exercise with my '03 KJ a few years back. One segment of the speedo wasn't lighting up (0-35 mph) and I mucked around for ages, trying to find the problem.I must have had the cluster in and out half a dozen times, swapping globes around with no result...ended up at a almost local breakers yard and got myself a whole replacement cluster for 25 quid...problem vanished and 5 years later is still working fine.

Wish you luck...the solution is out there somewhere.  :icon_winkle:
Pages: [1]   Go Up