Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amc 360 HEI or keep standard?  (Read 2829 times)

djrr6

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: CJ7 AMC 360 5 gear wobbly thing
  • Year: 1981
Amc 360 HEI or keep standard?
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »

I’ve searched through the back workshops on here and can’t see much info about the HEI upgrade other than people think it’s a good move.

I have a new coil and points etc on mine and prior to wiring it into the CJ7 I’ve been looking at swapping over to HEI and doing a lot less wiring and taking out the risk of the ICM going dodgy on me after being sat for 10 years and wondered if anyone had come across any issues with them?

It seems to be that the biggest worry is they can strip cam gears and as I’ve just had a brand new engine build I would imagine this won’t be a concern but thought I’d ask opinions first prior to sending off from abroad.

I’ll have to get a greater mind than mine to set it up but it could be worth the wait if it gives a cleaner spark

Cheers

5536paulj

Re: Amc 360 HEI or keep standard?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »

I never fitted mine, sold it to somebody on the forum, did the team rush upgrade instead.

If you do buy, don't buy cheap as these were the ones that stripped the cam gears, although that was a long time ago

Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) get good reviews, and they supposedly tailor the advance curve to your engine.

If I had a new engine I wouldn't be putting a 50 dollar cheap HEI on it..... :icon_eek:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:58:34 PM »

I'm about to do the "TFI" upgrade.
It uses all standard Ford components but is apparently a big improvement and keeps the standard distributor. I've got all the parts here, just not installed yet.

I expect my ignition components are in dire need of replacement though, so anything will probably seem like an upgrade to me and won't be the best for comparison.

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »

Yeah seen the TFI upgrade and not sure if it’s easier or harder than changing to HEI and the cam strip is definitely what’s worrying me as there are far too many stories out there for it to be an isolated situation

Another question that may suit better elec mind than mine is that the tach picks up the pulse from the coil and the HEI doesn’t have that output??

Cheers for both coming straight back to me and might hold off until I’ve looked a bit more into it and can maybe look into the DUI as they do have good reviews.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »

I put the HEI into mine and it's great, can't fault it. I did however change the drive gear to the original one on the points version. It just required a roll pin to be removed and change it over. This photo is the one I have. About $60.
I did change the vacuum setup also.

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »

Ah that’s one of be ones i looked at.

I have got a brand new cam shaft in so would hope the gear would be strong enough to hold up to it

I’m goint to go up this weekend and try sort out all the long list of other stuff it needs and make a decision I guess.

On a seperate question do you know of your tachometer is a v8 one or just normal jeep one? I always thought they would work on any but it seems not?

5536paulj

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »

Mine is a normal 6 cylinder one, so on a v8 it reads about 20% high!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »

This spurred me on to getting the new ignition bits installed, so I started taking the old stuff last night.

The TFI bits that I'm putting on are only as difficult as replacing with the standard bits, with the exception of the new coil which I need to sort out some kind of mount and wire in a new plug.

If I get it all done and it works okay, I can share my list of parts to give you some idea if it's what you're after. :001:

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »

Nice one that will be good as interested in this option as sounds safer to the cam

I’m a fair way off mine running so not a rush but trying to get all parts sorted now so when finally get 5 minutes I can crack on and sort it.

I’m encouraged the amount of 360 converted CJs there are out there as lots of advice on hand when I finally squeeze the body back on

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »

I have an aftermarket tach in mine as mine didn't have a factory tach so it's set for the V8. I actually use is as my speedo as the factory speedo is way off with the larger tyres.

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »

Is it a tach that looks same etc or is it some fancy new led type thing ?

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »

No I found a retro autoguage one from the US, it's a pod style but not one of the naff led ones. Like the pic

It's sits well in the Jeep and is very easy to read/view

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »

The other photo failed to load so here it is

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »

Looks good.

Now I see what you mean about using your tach as a speedo as well!

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »

Interesting subject
I used two hei units from Davis  I changed the cam drive gears on both engines
Results were good spark big enough to kill a dinosaur and smooth reliable power
However both failed after about three years use 
I never had a stock one fail  so it's up to you what conclusion you draw
But I must say the points on the old amc six cylinder engines seemed to need regular tweeking to keep sweet
Both my hei use were on v8s I had bought one for a 6 cylinder  but sold that unused

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

That’s good to know as it seems they work well but not longevity.

I’m still unsure so I’m going to try get it running as standard set up and make my mind up from there

Hate car electrics and jeeps seem to have a set of problems all of their own

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »

Can you use the Motorcraft dizzy?

djrr6

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »

Yes I have two motorcraft dizzy and the issue started when looking at wiring it as standard was I had the 151 engine in and different system to other jeeps such as integral solenoid to starter, elec ignition and I couldn’t work  out where ballast resistorwas etc so thought rather than trying to wire in the coil etc I’d go to full electronic.

Looking into it they are great systems but can strip cams and cause failures so rather than spend 300 on upgrade I might try get mine to work as is.
Interested in the replacement and parts swap upgrade and months from getting running the way work is but always interested to hear what others have done first then upgrade

Hate electrics

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »

I've had mine in since I built the jeep, no issues at all and agree a big fat spark. I thought I had an issue a while back but it turned out to be a failed tach due to water damage

Peraza

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing. It looks very good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up