Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant: Crown Parts  (Read 1936 times)

thorna

Rant: Crown Parts
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »

Every Crown part I've brought has sucked! In an age of copies you'd think they could do better. Latest purchase an ignition switch; whilst it solved one fault it's caused another.
In fact they can be so bad it's almost like the makers actively chose to make them bad!

Jonny Jeep

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 11
  • Vehicle: TJ 4.0 Sport
  • Year: 1997
Re: Rant: Crown Parts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:53 PM »

Every Crown part I've brought has sucked! In an age of copies you'd think they could do better. Latest purchase an ignition switch; whilst it solved one fault it's caused another.
In fact they can be so bad it's almost like the makers actively chose to make them bad!
The quality of rubber on Crown parts is shocking. I bought rubber sleeves for the sliders on my front calipers many years ago and they split within weeks. Only one was OK and that looked slightly different to the others. Good job I'd kept the three good OEM rubbers as they got refitted. Not something I have to worry about now with a Vanco BBK.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:21:51 PM »

My experience with Crown has been quite long standing....the results have been varied....either pretty good, or absolute shite!!!

But...I've never let them get away with rubbish supplies....always kicked up a stink, and they've always come to the party and kept me happy.

gordy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

Only ever bought one Crown product and that was their XJ shift linkage repair kit, the bushes were so brittle they broke and the links fell on the floor after the first attempt to shift into 4WD.  What a load of crap honestly. 

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »

I seem to end up with a lot of Crown suspension bushes and tie rod ends etc.
I've never really tracked how they do, but I do seem to have constant steering problems and bad bushes lately.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »

Most of the stuff I got from them was about 5 or 6 years ago and was mostly pretty reasonable...at least the bits are still in useable condition and have not given up any problems. I speak with the chap who bought the Jeep from me...even driven it for a while while he went on holiday to the UK...and everything is still sound.

Maybe they have dropped the ball along the way.

Jonnycab

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 01:34:12 AM »

Bought a Crown drive belt idler pulley wheel a couple of years ago & although the bearing was fine, the pulley wheel was more eliptical than round. So put new bearing in old pulley & all was good to go. I thought Crown was a US based manufacturer & therefore trustworthy, but this part looked like it had been produced in some dodgy far east sweatshop   :icon_rolleyes:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »

That's just reminded me - I bought a Crown idler pulley too, which had only had about 9 months' use when I put my XJ off the road for a couple of months. After that time standing the bearing was completely rusted and completely ruined. I always thought that seemed like terrible quality.

johnnyboy

• Guru
  • Vehicle: 79 CJ7 LHD 258 owned since 1980, 79 CJ7 LHD 304 quadratrack - nuts and bolts rebuild almost done...
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

I have bought a fair bit of crown stuff for the CJ (from Lighthouse...), and it has been reasonable so far. I was particularly pleased with some rear corner repair panels that I thought were unusually well made and solid. My beef with them is their prices!

gordy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:59:55 PM »

I was at Lighthouse Jeep last week as they are only 40 mins away as I needed a UJ urgently, great place and nice folks to deal with, I much prefer to deal with folks in person than mail order.

bgbazz

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »

I have bought a fair bit of crown stuff for the CJ (from Lighthouse...), and it has been reasonable so far. I was particularly pleased with some rear corner repair panels that I thought were unusually well made and solid. My beef with them is their prices!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my experience with Crown has been pretty reasonable...a lot of it came through Jeepey Mart, some via Devon 4x4 and a small amount from Jeep/Chrysler.  Testing my rocky memory now, but all in all, total spending over 12 months would have been up around 2500 quid (all Crown stuff). Most of the parts were front and rear suspension, but also a complete thermostat housing and internals, electric folding side mirror and heaps of bits and bobs.

The only issues were with the mirror (complete assy) and the ball joint which sits on top of the rear diff in a KJ. Raised a query and they responded with a replacement within days....in both cases they did not want the originals returned.

I had already fitted the parts....surprisingly, those parts are still fitted and performing well (new owner retains the replacements as spares)....prices back then seemed pretty fair to me.

thorna

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »

Mixed views!
Fender flares, softop disconnects, ignition switch, calliper overhaul, all crown & all junk.
Calliper overhaul kits were especially nasty (followed by disconnects) and never used, all the rest still on the jeep and working to a fashion.
But tbh if I need a part in a rush I'll buy more!
Pages: [1]   Go Up