Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulbs for WJ? (and can I make the headlights any better?)  (Read 1331 times)

bcw

Bulbs for WJ? (and can I make the headlights any better?)
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »

Short question: What bulbs do I need for my 2002 GC Overlander?  The headlights work, but they are rubbish.

Longer question: Euro Car Parts suggests H4's, but reading here and on the 'wjjeeps.com' site suggests some weird '9005XS' thing that I have never heard of.

So who is correct?  Or is it that there are two types of headlight?

Secondary question: Can I do anything to make the headlights any better?  I have never had much luck with aftermarket Xenon kits (the beam pattern is always crap) but was there an OEM Xenon/HID headlight that can be retrofitted?

If not, has anyone tried aftermarket LED bulbs?

Or am I better off just fitting one of those LED lights bars?  (For main beam only I guess)

Any experiences shared as to what works or doesn't work would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Andyp

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Grand Cherokee V8
  • Year: 2001
Re: Bulbs for WJ? (and can I make the headlights any better?)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

If you're happy to cut the plastic ring that holds the bulbs in you can fit HIR bulbs, the brightest halogen bulbs you can get. Google Philips HIR, I think they're HIR2 for dipped and HIR1 for high. If you're interested I can find a link to Jeepforum that shows how to do it.

Do NOT go HID. With HIRs you won't even think about it.

carljh

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »

try getting tail light bulbs! big 5/21 Watt capless bulbs.
My headlights are really good, have you had the beam aim checked?
When I checked mine they were set at -2.5 degrees, measured the height of the bulbs and they were 845mm, 5mm below so can be set to -0.5 degree (headlight centre 0-850mm set between 0.5 and 2 degree, above 850mm set between 1.25-2.75 degree)

bcw

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the info everyone.

I am tempted to have a go at retrofitting projectors, probably Morimoto ones.  There seem to be a few videos around YouTube but not much specific advice as to what fits and what doesn't.  Has anyone tried this before?
Pages: [1]   Go Up