Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any T18 experts  (Read 1765 times)

IrishCJ6

• Guru
  • Guru: 3
Any T18 experts
« on: June 04, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »

I'm in the process of rebuilding a T18 to fit into my CJ.

I needed to replace 1st gear (chipping, excessive rounding of edges) so had to pull the hub apart. Trying to find a good way to hold the 3 detent balls and springs in place whilst the new 1st gear is dropped over the hub. I'm stick of spending hours on my hands and knees looking for detent balls. :banghead:

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
Re: Any T18 experts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »

Had something similar when I rebuilt the Dana 300 ....a complete collar of ball bearing had to be held in place....
Up to the chemist and a big tub of Vaseline
Job jobbed.

I'll let the piss takers make comments...... :strum:

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »

as he says grease or vasalene

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »

Vaseline and a dowel the same size as the shaft worked a treat

Bubba

• "Cooter"
  • Marshal
  • Guru
  • Guru: 69
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:13:52 AM »

super news

trucks

shedric
cletus
mr whippy

I spent most of my money on alcohol, women and old  iron........ the rest of it I just wasted.

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:45:44 PM »

Forgot this question was over 1st gear dentents, that was resolved by turning the gear upside down, propping thr hub sufficiently that allowed the 3 denents to just be expised, i then used a large jubilee clip to squeeze the 3 balls at the same time, once squeezed i removed the prop and then just pressed the gear which slid down the hub and pushed the jubilee clip out the way. Simple when you figure it out.

The comment above was securing the 88 bearings in place in the cluster gear and getting it back in the box without dislodging the bearings when the shaft is reinstalled. The Vaseline and dowel was the only way to do this first time. It was more difficult to keep the thrust washers in place.

Still got to finish it off as I've only half put the main shaft back together

IrishCJ6

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »

Longest ever gearbox rebuild in history one feels. Major issue with time. I also had challenges as the front bearing on this box was the 20mm version which is now only being reproduced in a very cheap Chinese version that is actually worse the the f$%ked bearing I took out. However using the mechanical knowledge of my mate we figured that the later 23mm bearing could fit with a little machining. Now back together just need more time to close up and get back in the Jeep. For anyone thinking of rebuilding their box, it's not that difficult, and with a few simple tools and patience it can be done.

Pages: [1]   Go Up