Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Misfire  (Read 2847 times)

bobclements

Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Misfire
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:53:34 PM »

My 2002 WJ Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD 89000 miles - has a strange "misfire". Basically the engine starts first time and idles smoothly and would continue to run that way until any throttle is applied. When throttle is applied the engine randomly misses and shakes, releasing the throttle the engine goes back to idle but misfiring and shaking. Switching off and restarting, the idle is smooth. Car drives, but with very much reduced power when cold, so much so, that it won't pull away until its been running for 30 secs. or so. When driving, it accelerates but with a fair amount of "clatter". At the point where the engine is neither accelerating or decellerating, the "misfire" is really obvious. Putting on more throttle cures the misfire, and applying even more throttle it pulls like a train without any obvious misfire or shaking. The car returns 35 mpg on a motorway run. I've changed the fuel filter and checked all the feed and return lines for leaks. I've also purged for air at the bleed port - nothing present but clean fuel - no bubbles present. I've disconnected each injector in turn which causes a severe regular misfire on each cylinder. My basic code reader connected to the OBD port says no faults stored. Any suggestions most welcome.......

Mike2909

Re: Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Misfire
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:38 PM »

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.
Dutch will be along shortly to help you, he is an expert on all things CRD. The fuel pump has a notorious reputation on the CRD but I would not accuse it of being the cause  until Dutch has been along.

bobclements

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:15:36 PM »

:ace: Thank you - most grateful for any suggestions.

Dutch

• The Curator
  • Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:03:45 PM »

Where do I start  :icon_winkle:

CRD's have plastic fuel pipes that go brittle and let air in. You can't see that with the naked eye btw. Had mine replaced by dealer.

Fuel pump is a good start. There are 2 a low pressure and a high pressure one.

Injectors ? ever had the black death ? New they cost a kidney - I had mine refurbed at the time.... yup by the dealer.
I believe that the dealer said that the truck did have a misfire but not that noticeable at the time.

All the above cost an arm and a leg at the dealer so I cannot tell you what to do without a proper diagnosis.

WJ's are good looking trucks (still like 'em) but oh so fragile.

Jeepless :-( 2006 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster 3.2 V6 - 1993 Yamaha FJ1200

Fizz

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:51:32 PM »

First thing is it starts and runs. Presume starts as normal not taking ages so unlikely to be pipes or pumps. It could be the throttle position sensor although that may throw a code. But first thing is check for any codes, then just check for black death and possibly get leak down test check for any leaks in pipes to anything obvious  really.

Not an expert but just some thoughts
Pages: [1]   Go Up