Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Too hot to handle!!  (Read 1426 times)

Xj matt

Help! Too hot to handle!!
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:45:05 PM »

Hi guys, need help ASAP.

The xj is running extremely hot! I have replaced the electric fan as that had gone and the viscous fan is working fine, the coolant level is full and I'm 90% sure the water pump is working fine. However she runs up to about 100oc then instead of cooling down while driving at speed she actually gets hotter and creeps closer and closer to the red which obviously isn't ideal!
I can only guess at some sort of blockage in the system that is causing the water to be unable to pump around and therefore boiling up!

Has anyone got any other ideas and also can anyone reccomend a good flushing agent I can use to run through the water system?

Any help will be massively appreciated as I want her working for CF and I go away for a week on Thursday! :-/

Cheers,

jay140285

Re: Help! Too hot to handle!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:08 PM »

Just had this exact same thing on the  ZJ, radiator was blocked. 20mins with pressure washer on it problem solved.

Removed grill and aircon rad fir direct access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xj matt

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:19:08 PM »

Brilliant!!! Thanks Jay!!  :ace:

jay140285

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »

No worries, my symptoms were exactly as yours are. Rad looked ok until I got it exposed and saw actually how many of the fins were full of mud and crap.

Xj matt

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »

Gonna give it a good blast out this weekend and pray that makes the difference!! :-) hopefully see u at CF?

robsrotti

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »

Go easy with the pressure washer though, otherwise you will flatten all the rad fins

Xj matt

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

Ok cool. Slow and steady? ;-)

warp

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

If you have a kiddy paddling pool leave it in it overnight to soften up the crap & flush it out afterwards

jay140285

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

I had the pressure washer on about half setting. I was going to take it off and put in soak as suggested but when I could see through all the fins I didn't bother.

Xj matt

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »

Ok well I will try blasting the crap out and if that doesn't help I will take the rad out and soak it. Is it easy enough to take off?

jay140285

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »

Yes think so, depends how gentle you are, I disposed I the ac rad so wasn't gentle removing it.

Xj matt

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »

FAIL!! Blasting the crap out, (and there was plenty of it!) Hasnt worked. Before I take the rad off and soak it I'm taking the thermostat off to make sure that is working as it's slightly easier to get off. However Jay, Dave said u had a rad off him that you didn't need? If you don't want it and mine is broken would I be able to have it off u so that I can get to CF?

:-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up