Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which wheels for a WJ?  (Read 5462 times)

bcw

Which wheels for a WJ?
« on: December 17, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

Hi all

Jeep newbie here (and first post on here).  I have been running an 02 Grand Cherokee Overland V8 for a few months now.  I am using it for work and as a general run-around/workhorse.  My work at the moment is building a fibre optic networks in a rural areas which means I need to be able to do a little bit of mild off-road work.  Nothing like I am sure some of you guys get up to.  Pulling a trailer (usually with a mini-digger on it) through a muddy farm field is a good example of what I would expect of it.

I am a serial car modifier though and this Jeep is going to be no exception.  I want to give it a bit more presence on the road, make it look a bit bigger and more menacing, but not sacrifice the ability to use it for the purposes above or make it a chore to drive as a daily.  Keep in mind though that I am used to modifying road cars where the idea is generally to put the biggest diameter and widest wheels that will fit on and get the car as low as possible hence why I am probably asking newbie questions.  The whole idea of raising a car up instead of dropping it down is a completely alien concept to me!

I mentioned trailers above and it worth saying that anything I do must not spoil my ability to be able to pull large/heavy trailers eg a car transporter or a medium sized caravan.

So anyway, back to my question: what size wheels and tyres should I be going for that will work ok with stock suspension but not look too small if I decide to raise it at a later date?  The size 265x75x16 seems to come up when I have searched.  Is that fairly common?  There also seems to be a lot of tyre choices available in OR 265x65x17 or 265x70x17.

I am quite happy (in fact I want to!) run 'fender flares' so something that will fill out the arches are needed.  Would people suggest going for wider wheels/tyres right from the outset or just using a spacer as/when I get the flares on?

The car only owes me £2k so I am quite happy to take a recip saw to it and I am competent in the workshop (have a ramp, well equipped tool box, etc).

Ideally would like to see some pics of WJ's on bigger wheels with the wheel and tyre size stated for comparison.

Chris

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
Re: Which wheels for a WJ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:35:58 PM »

Think I have covered all the options I ran below, may be a few more.... :003:

245-75-16 & 3" lift
IMAG0826 by Old_Chad, on Flickr

265-60-16 & no lift, front bumper trimmed
IMG_20151205_130322065 by Old_Chad, on Flickr

245-75-17 with 3" lift
IMG_20160116_160738940_HDR by Old_Chad, on Flickr

265-65-17 & 2" lift
IMG_20170818_181517188 by Old_Chad, on Flickr

235-85-16 & 4.5" lift
IMAG1028 by Old_Chad, on Flickr

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:38:41 PM »

best setup by far was the 265-65-17 on a 2" lift, all round good on road and handy offroad

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »

Can confirm as I am driving the silver one now. Good for snow/clearance and muddy areas
Stuart

bcw

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »

Thanks guys.

Do either of you have a pic of the silver car (the one with 265/65/17's on it) from behind?  Just want to see how wide it looks at the back and how much the arches are filled out.

Do you think this size would work on stock suspension or would I have to lift right from the outset?

Chris

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »

Will work on stock, you will have to trim the front bumper lower lip, but thats easy. no rear shots but they fill the arches fine without anything sticking out. Maybe importantly to you it is the biggest size that will fit the wheel well.
IMG_20170820_170714506 by Old_Chad, on Flickr

bcw

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »

Will work on stock, you will have to trim the front bumper lower lip, but thats easy. no rear shots but they fill the arches fine without anything sticking out. Maybe importantly to you it is the biggest size that will fit the wheel well.

Thanks!  I'm not worried about the wheel well as I have an LPG tank taking that up.  I might even cut the boot floor out and replace with flat sheet so I can have a larger tank underneath.  70 litres means regular trips to get it filled up.

Looks like I am on the look out for a set of 17" wheels then!

STUARTF

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »

If Steve hasn't got an old one I will load one up at the weekend if it helps
Stuart

bcw

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

That first set look good, thanks.  One of my next bits of research was to figure out whether all Jeep wheels were the same PCD and offset.

Collection only is annoying but will see if I can persuade the seller to put them on a pallet for me.

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »

Taking ya girl to heaven & back
Pages: [1]   Go Up