• December 17, 2017, 11:23:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filling tank from LPG bottle?  (Read 424 times)

JamesH

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Last Login:Today at 07:09:06 PM
  • Vehicle: JK 2dr on 35s
  • Year: 2010
Re: Filling tank from LPG bottle?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Ha ha, working from home ‘lunch break’  :hysterical:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 13
  • Last Login:Today at 02:22:19 PM
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

Depends on where the LPG tank is, you should be able to remove the cover over the fill and supply hard connections and there should be a contents gauge in there. some tanks remove this and put a sender in place which then gives you a contents gauge in the dahboard
CJ7 White (actually cream) 4.2ltr auto (power of an elastic band), 31" tyres (round black things), Decent  carb (38 DGV Webber), MSD coil (sticker says it is), 20mm Rose jointed steering, uprated brakes (just been bled), Petrol/LPG (MPG i'd love it), Air Con (wind that window down) :rollover:

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:13:20 PM
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »

There is a contents gauge on the dashboard, but it had been flicking between red and green, and previously I've driven several miles with it on red. I don't think I trust it very much!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 12
  • Last Login:Today at 09:25:12 PM
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

Yes,.....I found a very,efficient gauge under the plastics on top of the tank......where I couldn't see it.....the sweet sized dash thing that eventually goes to a red light  when nearing empty is just a guide.
Best to set miles at full tank and drive to red light on gauge , take note and then drive till empty on red to check that as well......
I was surprised .....I got nearly 70 miles out of mine......on the red to empty section.

bgbazz

• Forum Member
  • Guru: 5
  • Last Login:Today at 09:58:42 PM
  • Vehicle: Golf TDI Remapped1.9 4Motion
  • Year: 2000
  • I'm an aussie living in Bulgaria.
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »

Jez speaks sense...just make sure you have a decent amount of petrol in the tank...enough to get you home, in case things go wrong. I recently tried this gauge testing exercise with my car...trying to work out when the low fuel warning light came on. I carried a 5 gallon can of fuel and a spare battery in the boot...just in case. What was written in my owners manual and what actually happened, were worlds apart!!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Last Login:Yesterday at 07:13:20 PM
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

You're both right; I do need to do something like that.

I had been trying to get a rough idea of how far I could get until red but I never pushed it very far as I haven't (previously) found it easy to get running on petrol again if I were to run out.
Now that I know what I'm doing a bit better, I'm going to drive on red next time until it runs out.
I'm used to the ZJ where the gauge permanently shows full, so I simply know to fill up around ~180 miles, and if I get it wrong it'll just switch over to petrol.

I didn't realise the gauge on the tank itself was more accurate; I'll have to have a dig under there to see what I can find. It's a donut-shaped tank in place of the spare wheel under the back of the car.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up