Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filling tank from LPG bottle?  (Read 3766 times)

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
Re: Filling tank from LPG bottle?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Ha ha, working from home ‘lunch break’  :hysterical:

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 02:03:12 PM »

Depends on where the LPG tank is, you should be able to remove the cover over the fill and supply hard connections and there should be a contents gauge in there. some tanks remove this and put a sender in place which then gives you a contents gauge in the dahboard
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »

There is a contents gauge on the dashboard, but it had been flicking between red and green, and previously I've driven several miles with it on red. I don't think I trust it very much!

wildwood

• The 1 Tonne Kid
  • Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 14
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »

Yes,.....I found a very,efficient gauge under the plastics on top of the tank......where I couldn't see it.....the sweet sized dash thing that eventually goes to a red light  when nearing empty is just a guide.
Best to set miles at full tank and drive to red light on gauge , take note and then drive till empty on red to check that as well......
I was surprised .....I got nearly 70 miles out of mine......on the red to empty section.

bgbazz

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
  • Vehicle: Was a KJ, now a VW
  • Year: 2003
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »

Jez speaks sense...just make sure you have a decent amount of petrol in the tank...enough to get you home, in case things go wrong. I recently tried this gauge testing exercise with my car...trying to work out when the low fuel warning light came on. I carried a 5 gallon can of fuel and a spare battery in the boot...just in case. What was written in my owners manual and what actually happened, were worlds apart!!

Brynjaminjones

• "Abe Lincoln"
  • Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 8
  • Vehicle: '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '97 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 Limited, '91 Hunter Green SJ Grand Wagoneer 360
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »

You're both right; I do need to do something like that.

I had been trying to get a rough idea of how far I could get until red but I never pushed it very far as I haven't (previously) found it easy to get running on petrol again if I were to run out.
Now that I know what I'm doing a bit better, I'm going to drive on red next time until it runs out.
I'm used to the ZJ where the gauge permanently shows full, so I simply know to fill up around ~180 miles, and if I get it wrong it'll just switch over to petrol.

I didn't realise the gauge on the tank itself was more accurate; I'll have to have a dig under there to see what I can find. It's a donut-shaped tank in place of the spare wheel under the back of the car.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up