Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jeep Disaster week lol  (Read 2346 times)

jeepmodel

Jeep Disaster week lol
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »

So ... had a few issues with the Jeep this week.  First it was overheating on a long journey back from Northumberland.  Stop .. topped up water, figured leaking rad and set off keeping an eye on temp.  Went up again ... topped up the car again and set off.  Did 40 miles no rise in temperature on the gauges.

THEN ... 7 miles from home the gearbox lost all drive.  As though the clutch had gone but its an automatic.  Smell of burning at the time but then zero connection to the gearbox in any gear or going through the transfer box.  Engine dumped it's water from rad too.  It is a 98 S reg 4.0 petrol with auto box.

The upshot of this is that I got the Jeep recovered.  It's been tested this morning and there are some exhaust gases in the rad so figuring cylinder head gasket or worse .... I'm guessing it's going to need a Gearbox but it has been suggested it could be the gearbox oil filter not been changed and the oil clogged up and overheating?

What's the best plan of attack here and does anyone have any spares that would help get the Jeep back on the road? Thanks :-)

PS IS there anyone around newcastle/teesside who fancies doing the repair on this one for me lol

gazjeep

• Marshal
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 9
  • Vehicle: TJ - Der Panzer - CBR
Re: Jeep Disaster week lol
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »

Could be the water pump leaking, notoriously sneaky buggers leak onto warm parts of the engine leaving little trace, would be worth a look.

As for the gearbox, change the filter & put all new ATF in it first, I bet your ATF is brown rather than red & smells burnt, its often neglected.

would check these 2 things first before spending big money.
Taking ya girl to heaven & back

jeepmodel

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try the gearbox suggestion.  It did have a significant burning smell at the time that it happened and the way it kind of went and then worked again and then immediately went makes me thing you are going to be on the money with your suggestion!

The radiator is def leaking though from somewhere near the top hose just behind the battery ... dumped it's water pretty quick.  Just worried that when I was driving it back after topping it up the first time that the water had dropped and the gauge hadn't registered it overheating and hence head is knackered.

If I can save some money on repairing the gearbox then if that is the case then it is a bonus.  I'l check the water pump out at the same time too to be on the safe side. I'm all for avoiding spending lots of money lol.

eastryjeep

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »

Also have a look at the welsh/freeze plugs on the near side of the block, they can rust through and start to dribble coolant, then when the level gets low enough for the block to really heat up they fail and spray coolant on the exhaust or under the car in a fine mist, leaving you on the side of the road wondering where all your coolant went.
Although there a three of them, it's usually the centre one that rots away first due to proximity of hot exhaust pipe and road salt.
Buggrit, another option is a cracked block if you refilled before letting the motor cool properly, I really hope its not that though.

jeepmodel

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:42:05 PM »

Ordered FT1039 filter 14 bolt which I'm told is right one??? Let engine cool a fair amount so block should be OK. First priority is to see if I can get gearbox working then have to deal with coolant leak after. Polish filter kit and going on the sellers advice.

Will ded check the plugs too thanks for the suggestion. Anyone you recommend in the northeast to get the Jeep back on it's feet?

scrw

• Club Member
  • Guru
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: jeep
  • BD, Fred Kite reincarnated
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:08:47 PM »

drop the gearbox sump & check for water, could be the trans cooler in the rad is holed thats pumped water into the gearbox.

jeepmodel

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

I ordered a filter for what I thought would be this model but the mechanic has said there is no filter in the gearbx? the gearbox has been drained and refilled with ATF but still there is no drive and the jeep currently sits outside the garage.

I'm not sure where to go from here .. is it likely that the best option will be to put a new gearbox in? ideally I could do with someone in the northeast who knows jeeps to take al ook at it and see if theres anything obvious thats being missed and see if i can get here back on the road thanks

JamesH

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 1
  • Vehicle: JK
  • Year: 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »

The gearbox does have a filter and it also has it's own small ECU. Gearbox problems are rare from what I have seen with all the Jeeps and clubs I have known. Torque converters go from time to time and the pipes to the cooler in the radiator often leak through rust or damage.

If you do swap the gearbox then get one from the same year XJ and get the gearbox ECU as well.

I don't know anyone up in the north east to suggest to you I'm afraid.

Mike Pavelin

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »

No filter? Sounds like you need a better mechanic :97:

carljh

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »

try City Garage Carlisle not too far from you.

Bishops Finger

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »

Theres the Jeepey guys in Hull
Pages: [1]   Go Up