Birty Dastards Jeep Club

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 79 cj7 light out  (Read 1156 times)

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
  • Guru: 0
79 cj7 light out
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »

Just picking your brains before i start into this in the morning. All light were working perfect to date. left headlights on for 30 mins and drained couldnt start the jeep. Battery flat and just after 40 min drive. Maybe alternator issue.

Anyway jumped it and it ran although not charging batter. Put my foot on the heheadlight switch and all light went out. That is dims, heads, signals and hazzards. I do have rear light and cabin lights.

i will check fuses in the morning but if its a ground issue may no t be easy to resolve. 

What else should i be looking for.

Ken

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
Re: 79 cj7 light out
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:54:08 PM »

the wiring on mine was a nightmare since a previous owner repaired it to their own design and layout. Had something similar so wired the side lights on their own circuit and the main (linked to dip switch) running through a separate relay.

yep two switched for lights but they are more reliable than before. still got the wiring really to redo but it works still so i'm leaving it for the time being
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »

Thanks for reply Dave. I got the Hazzards sorted. I put in a new battery and they worked except for the front right which was an earth issue.  With the weaker battery none of them fired up probably because the current couldnt jump over the rust :)

I still have signals issue (none at all) and heads and dips. I'll continue to trace the current next weekend. Signals are more important to me right now as I dont typically drive it at night so not so bothered about the front lights at the moment.

My flashers on the fuse box are both fine and the signals fuse (15amp) is fine.

Ken

Dave69

• Club Member
  • Forum Member
  • Guru: 15
  • Vehicle: CJ-7 4.2 auto
  • Year: 1979
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:06:53 PM »

i can only smile and say have fun
XJ 2.5 diesel - dead. XJ 4.0 6" lift - sold to some lucky person
CJ7 4.2 auto standard(ish)
Alfa 147 jtdm

eastryjeep

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »

When my CJ7 used to do that I used to swap the hazzard and turn flasher units round and for some reason only known in Toledo that used to sort it out. Then swapped the flashers back and it would last months till it played up again!
It was only when I recrimped the loom at the indicator and hazzard switches and the fuse box that it got any better, ie fail when wet, ok when dry!

IrishKenCJ7

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »

turns out Turn Signals require the ignition to be in on position (DOOOHHHHH!)

Headlights were out because the floor switch went bad. Worked when I replaced it with another.

Alternator was not charging as belt had some slack in it, so tightened up and all is fine now. Glad the missus doesn't drive this thing :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up